The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

removing paint from metal and wood

2K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  razor6570 
#1 ·
SCORED....

i went to the elk expo in Benezette, PA today. i stopped by Elk county arms& ammo and SCORED on a single shot NEF 10 gauge, 28 inch barrel, full choke $245.00
its covered in an ugly home made camo job but the gun locks up tight and the bore looks like a mirror. needs re-done, needs a limbsaver recoil pad. will add "after" photos when i can.

Question: how do i remove the paint from the metal with out harming the bluing ? same for the wood ?

not overly concerned about the wood as i can simply refinish the forearm and stock

i am also going to add a limbsaver recoil pad :) in an effort to tame the 10 gauge...stay tuned :)

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I've used that orange stripping stuff.
It called CitriStrip. I used it remove the clearcoat off aluminum wheels and this mod seven I brought back from the dead, it's owner "refinished" it with some kind of black paint and a cheap brush
The metal? Good 'ol lacquer thinner. No, it won't damage the bluing.
Bill

Attachments

#12 ·
i used the citri strip. worked like a champ. i cleaned the stock with soap and water and then acetone. so far i have sanded it with 60 grit all the way to 220, going to work my way up to 400.

i got a limbsaver air tech recoil pad on the way. they said if that doesnt work to call them back and they will send a Nitro Grind-to-fit recoil pad. that one is made for the big safari rifles :)

i will take some photos this weekend and post the process here.

#13 ·
Bohnr.....FWIW, I've build a few flintlock rifles from scratch. The most you need to go on your stock is 220 grit. After you do several applications of your finish (Tru-oil or whatever you prefer) the wood grain will fill with your applications and come out fine 'n dandy!!

#14 ·
sounds good. i am just not sure how to finish the stock yet. it depends on what they do with the barrel and receiver. the wood looks like walnut. i am leaning towards a tung oil finish instead of staining it.

#15 ·
Use Birchwood Casey True oil. Apply it with your finger tips and rub with 000 0r 000 steel wool after it dries between coats. Put at least 10 to 12 coats rubbing with steel wool between them. You will get a nice finish.

Reactions: bohunr and Laylow
#16 ·
^ This ^

Once you do your final coat, you will have a glass like high gloss finish. If that's what you want, you're done, but if you prefer a satin finish, rub it out with Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen & Conditioner.

Reactions: bohunr
#19 ·
ive got a question as how to remove a matte finish on a rifle. i have a Remington 700 varmit rifle that came with a matte finish and would like to have it just blued. is there any way to remove the matte finish on the barrel and action? will the barrel and action have to be reblued?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.