new rifle suggestions? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

new rifle suggestions?

Im thinking of buying a new whitetail rifle. thinking about getting a 6.5 creed or a 308. Im looking for a synthetic stock and stainless barrel. was thinking about a rem 700 mountain rifle but am not sure if there are better options for that price. Anyone have anything else they recommend. id like to get something better quality than the savage i have now. it has a plastic stock and a blued barrel. It shoots well but it just feels cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:48 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Next week I will be picking up a Remington 700 in 260 Rem. Previously had a Savage in 260 and sold it on a whim and kick myself every time I think of it.
basdjs, Pahack and Marcus99 like this.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

If your Savage shoots sub MOA it can look cheap, and ugly too, because if you do it right the deer will never see it!

Seriously, if you go for a synthetic stock be sure it is a sturdy, solid one, not something that you can twist around by hand. Bought a couple that were flimsy and the rifle never shot to its potential till it wore a stiff, bedded stock.....both times
hunterdan199 likes this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:01 PM
Part of the Community

Sako Finnlight jumped right to mind....
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:20 PM
Regular Visitor

I bought a tikka t3 synthetic stock, fluted stainless Barrel in a .260 last year. What a shooter!!! Love it!
basdjs and Waynzee like this.
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NECK SHOT View Post
I bought a tikka t3 synthetic stock, fluted stainless Barrel in a .260 last year. What a shooter!!! Love it!
I’ll second the Tikka, a buddy has one and it is light and very accurate. Another alternative would be the Browning X-Bolt as they make for a superb hunting rifle, my dad has several and all of them have been shooters.

I personally would stay away from Remington as their quality seems to be hit or miss these days.
Waynzee likes this.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:53 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Tikka's are about the only ones I recommend that have injection molded plastic stocks.

Not all synthetic stocks are created equal. Plastic are the worst, but Tikka's pretty much universally shoot well. Other than a Tikka, if I see a mold seam on the stock, I just lost all interest. I'd rather have a wood stock than that. I've dealt with an IM plastic stock. They are great....till they aren't. And when they aren't, they REALLY aren't. It'll make you tear your hair out. I "fixed" one by pillar bedding it, but that was mostly to learn on a stock I was gonna burn anyway. It was no loss to me if I screwed it up.

That particular rifle was put in a McMillan eventually, and I had it rebored from 30-06 to 35 Whelen. It now shoots 1" groups at 200 yards.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:11 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP70306 View Post
I’ll second the Tikka, a buddy has one and it is light and very accurate. Another alternative would be the Browning X-Bolt as they make for a superb hunting rifle, my dad has several and all of them have been shooters.

I personally would stay away from Remington as their quality seems to be hit or miss these days.
YES^^^ my 2 choices for hunting rifles!!! All my Browning’s shoot!
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:16 PM

Split the difference and get a 7mm-08. I really like the xbolt rifles, but I wouldn't mind having a 700 mountain rifle either.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Kimber

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page