100 yard plus 22lr, realistic expectations and ammo suggestions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Banned

100 yard plus 22lr, realistic expectations and ammo suggestions

I have a 10/22 target model with the hammer forged barrel. So far I haven’t found any ammo it “hates” at 25-50 yards. I’ve been burning through the thunderbolt I have hoarded with good plinking groups. Last trip to the range I tried a few at 100 and groups were tad I expected. 5” group 6” low. Haven’t tried any other ammo past 50. So my question is what is a realistic expectation of a 100 yard group and what are some good “long range” ammo to try without breaking the bank. Mostly just target use, I don’t plan on “hunting” anything at that range but I won’t rule out a little groundhog population control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:00 PM
The Man

It really depends on the gun and the ammo.

I would not say 5 inches is great. I'd bet there is ammo that would shrink that group to 1 to 2 inches w/o wind "if" your gun is up to it.

There is a lot of info on Rimfire Central about guns and ammo. Check out the site. You will find the answers to your questions and more.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:06 PM
The Man

BTW 6" low is about right for a 25 yard zero. When I shoot silhouettes I raise my crosshairs 7 inches from 25 to 100 yards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 01:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

My old Model 60 does about two inches @ 100 with both Minimags and Armscor.
bohunr likes this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:57 PM
The Man

I just talked to two guys who shoot 10/22s set up for target shooting. They both told me that it seems the 10/22 is very accurate up 50 yards but they open up when shot at 100 yards.

They both have 22s that are accurate up to 100 yards. One guy shoots a Anschutz and the other a Savage. Both have shot groups under 1" with match ammo.

They suggested that if you don't want to buy match ammo then get some CCI Standard Velocity. They both have had good luck with it.

Good luck!!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 03:57 AM

When I shot silhouette, my favorite - with the Anschutz - was Eley Tenex. Buy a bunch of different ammos (one box at a time) and try each until you find one that suits you.

benchrest
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I’ve had a few recommendations for cci standard velocity and mini mag, and also federal auto match. I’ll give some a try for sure. I was just looking for and idea of what to expect at 100. If I can get 2” I’d be thrilled. The gun is a factory target model(now discontinued) so far I’ve only fed it the cheap plinking crap I have here. Thunderbolt, wildcat, golden bullets, all shoot 10 shots in a dime at 25 and a nickel at 50. So far I’ve only tried thunderbolts at 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CE2BC169-FE5A-43F4-ABCF-8A7EA9EBA6ED_1562504209078.jpg (1.71 MB, 4 views)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:08 AM
The Man

..Give ELEY a try....
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:25 AM

I get about 1-1/2 or smaller groups out of my rem 581 bolt.
what it really comes down to is finding the right ammo.
.22 can be finicky and guns seem to have a preference.
my 581 hates federal rounds
it does ok with Remington ammo but will throw a stray about 1 out of 3 rounds
CCI standard velocity I found I can consistently get sub 1-1/2 groups
so that's pretty much its standard diet.
I have done limited experiments with tenex with mixed results.signs are I could shrink the groups a bit.
but the price point and consistency with the CCI makes me unsure if its worth it.

i also found that my guns preference for CCI extends to its variants but adjustments are needed to bring the POI back on
in short buy smaller batches of as many different brands as possible and experiment and see what you gun prefers

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

after seeing your post yesterday, I grabbed up my old 10/22 and some ammo and shot at 100 yards. shot off the bench with a bag up front, nothing fancy. the rifle has and old BSA 3-9 scope on it. CCI standard velocity shot a 3 1/2", 10 shot group, and the Winchester 36 gr. h.p @ 1280 fps., shot a 3" 10 shot group. may try some more today.
Waynzee likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page