Bedding a scope rail - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By bpottorff
  • 1 Post By flintlock hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Bedding a scope rail

I'm working on a mid-long range budget paper puncher, and am planning to bed the scope rail since it's fairly cheap and easy to do. My question is, how much gap is too much to fill? With the front screws finger-tight, there's about a .02" gap between the rail and receiver, which seems a little excessive to me. Is there other steps I should take to do this little project correctly, or can I just go ahead and fill the gap with the JB Weld?

The setup in question is a Savage 111 flat-back with a 20MOA EGW rail, if it makes a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190614_202149_1560558974299.jpg (1.74 MB, 13 views)

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:33 PM

Not sure I fully understand how you are planning on doing it, when I bed bases, I take them off, clean everything, wax the receiver, so the bedding sticks to only the bases. Mix and apply the bedding to the bases and then wax the screw holes and screws, put bases on and just snug them. Clean excess, depending on how long it takes to cure, I tighten them some more, when the bedding is firm, but I never fully tighten the screws until the bedding compound is fully cured, because of shrinkage. Wax anything that you do not want the bedding to adhere to.
Dogface and stoolshooter like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

That's more or less what I have in mind for the actual bedding process. My main concern is the overall size of the gap in the back of the base, and if the compound can realistically fill it completely without future complications. I've thought that maybe I should maybe wet sand the front of the base, or throw a metal shim in the back to help take up space. I just want to make sure that what I'm doing will hold up long-term.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 03:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

First, JB Weld is a great epoxy, however, Accraglas is the better one for the job, and nearly no shrinkage.

I agree with waxing the reciever, I use Bowling Alley wax,(Diamond Brand in the flat orange can) apply, let dry, buff, do the bedding thing. Also agree with snugging of the screws so as not to bend the base. Fully tighten screws only after a day or three of curing.

Oh yeah. Masking tape keeps the mess down.
Dogface likes this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!

Last edited by flintlock hunter; 06-15-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page