Weatherby vanguard 70-08mm VS ruger 348 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Weatherby vanguard 70-08mm VS ruger 348

I love my carbines love they short accurate great in tight spaces.

Which guns you guys think is better ? I know ruger makes a quality weapon bolt action 358 I own a few. Then on the other hand I have never. Owned or a short a Weatherby. They make a 7mm08

Thanks for the info.

Ps I have a handloader for the 358 Winchester.

Last edited by hunterdan199; 04-13-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:26 PM
The Man

If I were looking strictly from an accuracy standpoint, it's a no-brainer in favor of the Vanguard.

If I were looking for a short to medium range rifle for anything but mean, coastal bears, I'd pick the .358 Ruger.
hunterdan199 and Waynzee like this.

demokraten saugen
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:28 PM
Part of the Community

I own 2 vangaurds, one 30/06 one .300 win mag. Both shoot great, no problems finding a load they love.
hunterdan199 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:15 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I am guessing you are speaking of the 7mm-08 which is a great round as is the Weatherby a great rifle which should serve you well. I am not sure what a Ruger 348 is unless they are doing a special run of the No.1 in 348 Win. The 358 would be a great choice but as far as longevity and resale the Ruger American won't compete with the Weatherby IMO
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:34 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by superd View Post
I am guessing you are speaking of the 7mm-08 which is a great round as is the Weatherby a great rifle which should serve you well. I am not sure what a Ruger 348 is unless they are doing a special run of the No.1 in 348 Win. The 358 would be a great choice but as far as longevity and resale the Ruger American won't compete with the Weatherby IMO
I believe the OP was referring to the Ruger American in .358 Winchester. It's one of Grice's "limited editions".

We have, both, Vanguards and one American. The Ruger is a serviceable, accurate rifle. But, it cannot hold a candle to the Vanguard in any category but price.....and only minimally so, there.
hunterdan199 and 325wsm like this.

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:09 PM

Back in the day, ruger made a few M77 tang safety .358 winchester carbines, with sights. Iv'e seen a few listed on gunbroker, but they ain't cheap. They also made a few .358's in their scout rifle, with a 16" barrel, iirc. And I see a couple new ruger compact rifles in .358 on gunbroker. Fancy walnut and blue, with a 20" tube and ebony forend tip.

That RAR might shoot great, and it's cheap, but I just don't like it much.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:24 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have 2 Ruger Americans a 30/06 and Ruger Predator 6.5 Creedmoor both are consistently accurate. I hand load for both and the 6.5 Creedmoor will shoot as good as my Browning X Bolt. I'm not fond of Weatherbys, they are okay if you don't mind paying more for the name.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:20 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynzee View Post
I have 2 Ruger Americans a 30/06 and Ruger Predator 6.5 Creedmoor both are consistently accurate. I hand load for both and the 6.5 Creedmoor will shoot as good as my Browning X Bolt. I'm not fond of Weatherbys, they are okay if you don't mind paying more for the name.
Gotta put another $.02 in here...

The Ruger American is my younger daughter's. It's a .308 Win and shoots 1.5 MOA. One just like it can be had for $350. It shoots well. It looks and feels really cheap.

The Vanguards are my brother's .300 Wby Mag, my sister's .300 Win Mag and my two older kids' both in .308 Win. Every one of the 4 rifles will shoot MOA or better for 3 shots at 100 yards. My Daughter's .308 Win is an actual, REPEATABLE 1/4 MOA shooter. The Vanguards are well built and they LOOK and FEEL like it. A Vanguard will run you around $200 more than the Ruger American. If accuracy and quality of build are important, I guess it's one's own personal budget and decision to decide if it's $200 important. If the name gives me what I'm getting in a Vanguard..... I'll pay for it.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing accuracy and quality are important to YOU as an X-Bolt STARTS at about $100 more than a Vanguard.

Like I said....one's own budget....one's own decision. 4 Vanguards in our family and I ASSURE YOU, there will be more .
325wsm likes this.

demokraten saugen
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:36 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut10 View Post
Gotta put another $.02 in here...

The Ruger American is my younger daughter's. It's a .308 Win and shoots 1.5 MOA. One just like it can be had for $350. It shoots well. It looks and feels really cheap.

The Vanguards are my brother's .300 Wby Mag, my sister's .300 Win Mag and my two older kids' both in .308 Win. Every one of the 4 rifles will shoot MOA or better for 3 shots at 100 yards. My Daughter's .308 Win is an actual, REPEATABLE 1/4 MOA shooter. The Vanguards are well built and they LOOK and FEEL like it. A Vanguard will run you around $200 more than the Ruger American. If accuracy and quality of build are important, I guess it's one's own personal budget and decision to decide if it's $200 important. If the name gives me what I'm getting in a Vanguard..... I'll pay for it.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing accuracy and quality are important to YOU as an X-Bolt STARTS at about $100 more than a Vanguard.

Like I said....one's own budget....one's own decision. 4 Vanguards in our family and I ASSURE YOU, there will be more .
The thing with Rugers to obtain the best accuracy is the action screws have to be torqued to at least 65 inch lbs. and no more than 70 inch lbs.
I don't mind paying more for a good accurate rifle,, these Rugers shoot just as well as some higher end rifles and you're right they are and have a lot of plastic which is why they cost less.
And here's the thing, if I'm hunting with one of my Rugers and fall and bang it up I won't feel quite as bad as if I scratched up one of my Brownings.
You like Weatherbys good for you, I'm not so fond of them.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:37 PM
The Man

Reckon that's why they make different brands. Yep.

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page