• 1 Post By Waynzee
  • 1 Post By Hungry Horse
  • 1 Post By huntined
  • 1 Post By huntined

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

1891 mauser

Just picked up a 1891 Mauser chambered in 7.65 Argentine. Does anyone have any experience with these guns? If so what kind of groups are you getting with them and do you reload for it?

The one I got is in very good shape. The previous owner took off the rear site to install a scope.

Also does anyone know a site to look up the serial number for the manufacture date? The rifle I have has all matching numbers B3695
Hungry Horse and Waynzee like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a 7x57-1895 Chilean Mauser that was my Dads, and it very accurate, 3/4 to1inch groups with my hand loads. But here's the thing, many years ago he had the barrel cut and recrowned, had the sights removed, the bolt fixed for a Winchester type safety and drilled and tapped for scope base. Then dropped it in Reinhart Fajen wood stock. Now I have it and further had work done, recrowned with a target crown, glass bedded, and a better trigger installed.
Also I have found with many Mausers they like a heavy long bullet to get your best accuracy. I shoot a Sierra 160 gr. Spitzer B.T. out of mine.
Hungry Horse likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I think i'd plan on loading for something like that ... I see Midway has a couple selections available, but I can't imagine its readily available at your local mom & pop shop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Your right about not finding the ammo everywhere, but factory ammo can be found at most gun shows. I will be reloading for it in the future but will pickup a few boxes of ammo this weekend at the Oaks gun show so I will have the brass to reload.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:26 PM
Part of the Community

The Mod 1891 7.65 Argentine mauser are excellent rifles often. I owned one when younger, had the bolt bent & receiver drilled and tapped for scope mounting. My father bought it for me for my 1st deer rifle... $18.95, semi sporterized or should I say cut down military stock and barrel, polished bolt, military trigger, many available in a large barrel at a big discount store that Saturday. "Deal of the century" in 1965. FMJ bullets military surplus ammo would shoot 1/1/2"-2" Handloaded by a friend... 150's Sierra .311dia would do 1 1/4". Round nose 174 Gr .312 maybe .313 dia would do 1" 3 shot groups at 100 yds off bench and sandbags with my Bushnell Banner 1-4X scope. Extremely good killer. Too many years have passed to remember the loads. Keep the pressure down as the Mod 1891 actions are not strong as the M98 actions. But a load found into today's reloading books are safe for most good condition Mod 1891 actions. The 7.65 Argentine cartridge is equivalent to the well loved 300 Savage & close to the .308 Win in stopping power. Enjoy your rifle for many years and hunts. HH
Waynzee likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have one I load my Lyman cast bullets for. Most like many of the surplus military rifle have been cut down or sporterized. Mine is one of the above. I have been looking for a non sporterized one for a couple years. They are hard too find. Mine shoots nice groups with the cast bullets. I would watch what reload data you use. most of these riles will not take well to hot loads.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:17 AM

I have a box of ammo for it if interested.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:25 AM

Can't comment on the topic specifically but it's refreshing to read a post and responses about guns and shooting for a change. Now I want to go buy one of these guns.
Mission accomplished.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I picked up 2 boxes of ammo at the Oaks gun show on Fri. and am trying to get to the range today to shoot. In the future I will most likely reload with cast bullets.
triggercreep likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Just got back from the range. This gun really likes the Norma 150gr ammo. It shot 3/4 inch groups at 100yds. Looks like I found a good one. Can hardly wait to see what it will do when I start reloading for it.
triggercreep likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page