Group testing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Born2Hunt
  • 1 Post By cubcadet

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Group testing

This is a follow up to 1-2 of my prior reloading/grouping testing post.

From some of the advise recieved and discussions I purchased a Timney trigger for my 222 Remington BDL and spring kits for my 243 and 270 Ruger M77s. I put the Timney in the 222 decreasing trigger pull from 5 1/2 to 2 1/8. The 2 spring kits did not change the trigger pull by a whole pound so I retuned them and made adjustment to the original Ruger triggers.

I made several test loads for the 222 some using W748 a power which I had never tested and a couple of different bullets. One group came in as a clover leaf group measuring .220.

I tested the 243 M77 Varminter with the trigger pull reduced from 4 3/4 to to 3 1/4 with a proven
IMR 4064 load which gave me a group of .365.

I have not tested the 270 yet, but it has grouped well in the past and I plan to test the reduced pull soon.

The groups were only 3 shots. So now I plan on testing 5 shot groups to check the results.

I believe reducing the trigger pull to a safe poundage is an asset. I also shot off from sand bags in lieu of the lead slid and other rest platform I often use.

Thanks for all your thoughts.
Dogface likes this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 05:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

I installed a Timney trigger in my 243 vanguard few years ago. The stock trigger wouldn't fire in the fire position. I adjusted the trigger pull to 3 lbs. I closed the bolt of course no loaded round in the chamber. Just a spent casing. Bounced the butt stock off the floor 6"-8" just to be sure it did not trigger the firing pin. Then I lapped the scope rings. After lapping several times, I was surprised how much of the Leupold rings were gripping the scope, want much but it took some effort to get the rings true. Much better groups.

The Browning X bolt 223 when I 1st got it few years ago. I tested the best load for the 65 grain sierra gameking bullets. varget powder did the best. 25.5 grains. Target out to 102 yards. Anyways I forgot to lap the scope rings. I did that in a day or two. Back out to the field, sight of impact want much difference, maybe a click high, click or 2 to the left etc. Better groupings though.

All 223 reloads were with Winchester brass. I decided 1 day to purchase Lapua brass. I loaded them up same exact with Varget powder weight, primer & bullets. I didn't do anything, did not touch the trigger pull, nor scope adjustment. After several rounds down the barrel my groups were tighter. Went from dime size groups to half size of the dime with Lapua brass.

Anyways was it a fluke using Lapua brass? I loaded the 2nd best groups which was CFE-223 25 grains with Sierra gameking 65 grain. I got the same results with the Varget rounds. I believe the c.o.a.l. was at 2240" with these rounds. The sierra manual has 2250". Touching the lands they were so I backed them down to 2240.

Just for fun. I fired these rounds with Lapua brass out of my Colt to see what groups I get. What the? Wow I was impressed, but I cannot afford to loose casing's firing them out of the Colt m-4. I even took a tarp to lay down on the ground to see the casings alot easier then rooting through the grass. I still lost a few rolling off the tarp could not find them in the grass field. I'll stick with winchester brass for the AR hunting groundhogs, with a ball cap catching the brass, sometimes I loose 1 here and there. Groups are ok with winchester brass I can live with. Lapua brass groups got tighter, not as good out of a bolt action now.

Good luck to you, happy shooting.
Born2Hunt likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Spent the afternoon tumbling, resizing, trimming, and priming brass. I loaded twenty five of the 222 rounds from above plus 4 groups of 5 test loads from the past for the 270 to test the new trigger setting.

I hope to get a day without much wind next week to do some testing.

I am trying to get 1-2 good loads for each of my rifles as I have been playing around with them for decades. Getting closer and enjoying the ride.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page