AR accessories - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Born2Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

AR accessories

Thinking about some accessories for a S&W M&P 15. A vertical fore grip, an under mount laser light and a bright light. The light and laser could be a combo unit if that could be the best way to go.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:23 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
Thinking about some accessories for a S&W M&P 15. A vertical fore grip, an under mount laser light and a bright light. The light and laser could be a combo unit if that could be the best way to go.
Sounds like some good ideas, I would try to hold an AR with a vertical grip before you buy one, just a suggestion, I didn't like them on my AR's but not everybody is the same. Good luck with your AR. Is that S&W M&P a sport model and how does it shoot?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:02 PM
Banned

I've found an angled foregrip and handstop to be the perfect combo for me on short (16" and under) ARs...
Tried the VFG a few times, just didn't work for me. YMMV.

As for lasers, not a fan. A good red dot is just as fast unless you plan to shoot from the hip, and doesn't paint a line straight back to you.
A good light with a pressure switch is ideal... Just don't go crazy on the lumens if you plan to use it indoors or you'll blind yourself more than you'll illuminate a target.
Outdoor use? Go for the brightest, tightest beam possible within your budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Really adding the accessories for my wife as home protection. I think the vertical grip would assist her in holding the gun in ready position longer and more comfortably, The laser she could use for close range in the dark if needed. She has a 9 MM with a laser that works well for her. A light just bright enough to help her identify and see the target and threat. I am assuming if the light is on the laser will not be visible????

Any ideas of Mfg.? or models.

Waynzee: I have really tested for groups. I originally had an Eotech 512 on it at one time, but I never got around to sighting it in. I shot 3 shots at 25 yds. from sandbags with the iron sights and all three were touching. May get into doing more group testing, but for now placing the priority on the wife's needs.
Waynzee likes this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:56 AM

Try and shoot one with a vert foregrip first. I find it very uncomfortable and reduces my accuracy. Especially my target to target movements. I use a forward c clamp grip with my off hand and it controls muzzle rise and transitioning a lot better.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 03:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
Really adding the accessories for my wife as home protection. I think the vertical grip would assist her in holding the gun in ready position longer and more comfortably, The laser she could use for close range in the dark if needed. She has a 9 MM with a laser that works well for her. A light just bright enough to help her identify and see the target and threat. I am assuming if the light is on the laser will not be visible????

Any ideas of Mfg.? or models.

Waynzee: I have really tested for groups. I originally had an Eotech 512 on it at one time, but I never got around to sighting it in. I shot 3 shots at 25 yds. from sandbags with the iron sights and all three were touching. May get into doing more group testing, but for now placing the priority on the wife's needs.
Ah, yeah that probably would be better for your wife close distance with laser and light. That's pretty good 3 shots touching with open sights, shows potential for being really accurate. Good luck with it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 03:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Angled foregrip is the way to go. Vertical foregrips are for the "tacti-cool" crowd.

No info on lasers as I don't run them on my AR's.

As for lights, I have ElZetta mounts on my two AR's with Surfire Fury 500 lumen lights. I prefer this mount, because it's ambidextrous. Meaning I can operate the light from either shoulder.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page