17 wsm - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Talking 17 wsm

Anyone shooting one? How do you like it? Been looking at a B Mag and have read negative stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
Anyone shooting one? How do you like it? Been looking at a B Mag and have read negative stuff.

Had one, actually two.

I hunt chucks in Bucks County and was looking for a legitamate 300 yard gun for two of the farms. The first one was a 4 MOA shooter at best. Savage didny have much comment, but had me return it under warranty.

A few weeks later a new B Mag arrives, I get it ready to shoot, and off to the range. 1 1/2 to 2 MOA was the best I, or the benchrest shooter to my right could squeeze out of it. Make a call to Boyds.

Three weeks later a thumbhole stock is bedded to the action,(Accraglas), and back to the gun club.

Well, the twisty/turnie black pastic stock that it came with wasnt the problem either. The Boyds stock tightened the groups to 1 1/2 Moa, same as before.

All the reviews you read are true, the B Mag is far from accueate enough for at least my purposes, and I hear if you do manage to end up with a shooter it will likely be in the 1/2MOA neighborhood, which is the neighborhood that 300 yard guns live.

I still have a few hundred rounds of 17 WSM left if anyone wants it, the gun is long gone.

Go with 17 HMR is you must use a 17 rimfire. Mine has a 238 yard woodchuck to its credit, and that was a head shot.... on purpose.

Hope this helps

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I haven't heard to much good said about accuracy. I have a 17 HMR that shoots tacks. The .222 is a nice gun or 22-250

Last edited by Laylow; 03-06-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:50 PM

Had an HMR shot very accurate. Had a burris ballistic plex scope on it. It hit where it said it would. I liked it.
Just have been reading and looking into the wsm and reviews are mixed at best.
17 hornet on the other hand is pretty good. Ive shot 2 different ones that friends have brought to camp. Super accurate and they reach out there.
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:56 PM
Regular Visitor

Do you need a rimfire for where you hunt ? I live in Allegheny County and I have to use a rimfire if I did not I would not own one. I have lost more groundhogs with that cal than any other I have used. Of the 8 chucks I shot on that farm last year 3 were dead right there , ( head shots ) all the others were center mass shots and made it back to the hole. In my opinion if you don't have to use a 17 HMR , don't. Get a 22 hornet , 223 ,222 , 243 or 22-250 . You will be much happier with those choices. I will say that my 17 HMR is accurate I just don't think much of it as a varmint caliber .
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:24 PM
The Man

Some I blow up on the spot and some make it back to the hole if they are very close to it.But guaranteed they are dead shortly after they duck down the hole.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny v. View Post
Do you need a rimfire for where you hunt ? I live in Allegheny County and I have to use a rimfire if I did not I would not own one. I have lost more groundhogs with that cal than any other I have used. Of the 8 chucks I shot on that farm last year 3 were dead right there , ( head shots ) all the others were center mass shots and made it back to the hole. In my opinion if you don't have to use a 17 HMR , don't. Get a 22 hornet , 223 ,222 , 243 or 22-250 . You will be much happier with those choices. I will say that my 17 HMR is accurate I just don't think much of it as a varmint caliber .
Believe me, you are spot on! If Special Regs allowed ANY centerfire I would be shooting that one.

When I still had a choice it was a Rem 700 in 22/250, probably the ultimate factory round for varmit to ever come done the pike.

The 17s are a little light for my tastes, but 22Mag isnt the best choice past 125 yds either. I wish the Commision would be kind to us here in the Special Regs and give us a few centerfire calibers that we can actually use more humanely, like the mentioned 17 Hornet, the 22 Hornet, 22 Bee etc. It is a far cry from Rocket Science to understand if no major catastrphies are occuring with saboted slug rounds over the course of the heavily hunted deer seasons a few hunters helping the farms rid some groundhogs with even a 222 Remeington wont put an end to the world either. Most likely the neighbors wouldnt notice a difference anyway.

Untill someone decides to allow tools better suited to the job I will bring Tessa with me to drag the hogs back into the field for me..... and probably even if the better tools are legalized again.

And if you do try a 17 WSM, good luck

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:37 PM

I shoot a .17 Remington. I don't understand why they came out with the .17 hornet, .17 rimfires and all the others. I can load down to there velocities, they can't load up to the remingtons! lots of b.s. has been written about the Remington, dirty barrel, hard to clean ect. I haven't seen it.mine is a encore(by mgm). any thing out to 300 is in trouble.it's fun seeing the bullet hit!

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

That 17 Remington surely is interesting. I heard of a guy who DEER hunted with one, and the claim was it was devastaing on them!

Definately on my to do if I ever move out of Bucks and can use a centerfire....still think 22/250 is great, but it really is LOUD!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:47 PM

17wsm

Had one of the first ones garbage that was topped with a vx3 4x13 leupold I sold it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page