350 Legend - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

350 Legend

Anybody see Winchesters new cartridge they came out with? Was reading up on it from an article from shot show. Chambered for their XPR bolt action line of rifles. Fastest straight wall cartridge out their is the claim. Less recoil than a 243 with more energy than a 30-30. Seems like it could be a nice woods rifle for the youngsters and recoil sensitive. Can anyone say 357 maximum bolt gun. I might dabble just for the ---- of it.
flintlock hunter likes this.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:57 PM

I saw a few ads for it. I will be interested to see what the cost is. Looks like the speed is about 125 fps faster than a 450 bushmaster and a 100 fps faster than a 45/70. Didn't look into how much that helps ballistically. Hopefully the shells are reasonably priced. Let us know if you get one.
flintlock hunter likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:14 AM
The Man

I think it's Winchester's answer for the states that have shotgun only and rifles limited to .35 cal or greater in a straight-walled cartridge. Indiana, IIRC, is one of them. From what I heard, the .350 Legend is based on the.223 casing and will work in the AR platform.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwn……………………………..

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:34 AM

I'll keep my 450. It's just plain rude.
hunterdan199 likes this.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:41 AM

More marketing hype on yet another unneeded soon to die caliber, much like the utramag frenzy
Asajoe1 likes this.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

What Bullet weights does it come in? It might not be all that bad if it surpasses or duplicates the 35 Remington with a 200 grn. bullet.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynzee View Post
What Bullet weights does it come in? It might not be all that bad if it surpasses or duplicates the 35 Remington with a 200 grn. bullet.
I saw that it said 145 to 265

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetam View Post
More marketing hype on yet another unneeded soon to die caliber, much like the utramag frenzy
Don't know about that. The straight-walled cartridges have taken off now that many states have legalized them in their gun season. I know the 450 Bushmaster has really taken off. Lots of guys are getting rid of their slug guns as these guns are legit 250 yards guns and I know the 450 ammo is alot cheaper than buying slugs. I guess time will tell.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:17 PM
The Man

I have to admit that I am somewhat intrigued by this cartridge. It's looking more and more like I'll be back to doing some Ohio hunting and I've already hunted Indiana with plans to go back. I've looked for quite a while for a company who offered the .357 Maximum in a lever action rifle. The fact that this will be offered in a bolt gun is what does it for me. I just prefer a bolt action rifle over a lever if possible. Ruger offers the .357 mag and .44 mag in their model 77 rifles but this round appears to have a bit more steam and velocity.
BTW, in Indiana there is only a straight walled cartridge restriction if you are hunting on public land. And their restriction carries a maximum length of 1.800 inches as well. On private land in IN, you can use bottlenecked cartridges as long as they are either .243 or .308 calibers. I am a big fan of the Winchester Power Point bullets also. The 180 power point offering in this .350 Legend sounds like a winner for me for deer hunting. When this is offered, I'm pretty sure you will see me getting one.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:19 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
I saw that it said 145 to 265
Where did ya find that info? I had a 35 Rem. in a Marlin lever action that I gave to my brother years ago and where we hunt your shots aren't much over 100 yards and most are under 50 yards so something like that would make a dandy woods rifle. Always wanted that rifle back but once my Bro. seen how well it put deer down,,, well there just ain't no talking about having it back. LOL. I could have bought another 35 Rem. I suppose but never did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page