.22LR ammo recommendation - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

.22LR ammo recommendation

Hello guys,

I know this is one of those questions that starts some good natured arguments but here goes. I'm thinking about buying a Ruger 10/22. Any recommendations for the best performing ammo brand? I use CCI in my NEF single shot but with a semi-auto 10/22 I'll burn through some ammo pretty quick and cost/performance is a consideration.

I expect to do some trial and error testing of different brands but I'd appreciate and suggestions based on other's experience.

Thanks,
Bill

p.s.
if this has been beaten to death in older threads I apologize, I'm new here.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:08 PM

I got a 10/22 target for Christmas and so far have only run thunderbolts through it. It manages 1/2” 10 shot groups at 25yrds and 1” at 50. About 2 1/2 at 100 that are 4-5” low. My buddy has the same rifle and uses wildcats. I have some armscor and golden bullet hollow points I want to try. I like to use hollow points when I can so I know the gun is on if I shoot at a whistle pig.
bohunr likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Solids work great. The 10/22 is a great shooter.

I just sent a 550 box of Remington golden HP's 22 back because my 10/22 had a lot of misfires. All other shells work fine. I really like the gun.

Csott1 let me know how the 22 golden work in your gun. We shot the lot I had out of about 4 different 22's and still had miss fires. I might have gotten a bad lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:54 PM
Sage

In the 22 LR I found this to shoot well in my 22's:

bohunr and 300 Norma Mag like this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 07:14 PM

A few years back I ordered several types of 22's from Europe, other foreign countries and several American rounds. Some shot acceptable; however, none were more accurate in my Ruger 77 Bolt and my Browning BL22 than CCI solid points I use for squirrel and hollow points I use to shot ground hog close the the famers houses and sheds.
bohunr likes this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 07:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

Here comes the good natured arguements! I shoot Silhouette in the off season, (and to start the arguement part, I only shoot 35>38, those darn turkeys mess me up), and it is more than obvious that, again, all guns are a law unto themselves. Some guys use MiniMags, others CCI target ammo. My suggestion is try out what you have, if hunting try Velocitors or Stringers, for plincking anything that cycles, but most guys seem to use Mini Mags. Mostly.....just have fun!
bohunr likes this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:33 PM
Sage

22 rifles are generally finicky as to what they like. Best to buy a few 50 round packs, to get an idea of what your rifle prefers? The only 22 I have that shoots just about anything pretty well, is a Ruger American.

Going back over the past 40 years, if there's one type of ammo that most of my 22s favor for decent accuracy, it'd be CCI Mini Mags. Some of them do better with another type of ammo, but most do fairly well with this ammo.

I have a Romanian 1969 trainer that probably cost around $50 many years ago. Ugly as sin bolt action. When I was messing around with it originally, tried some of every kind of ammo I had. Which was at least a dozen different loads, including some fairly pricey target stuff, like RWS and Wolf Match Target.

That thing shoots the best 50 yard groups with WW Wildcats and some of the worst groups with the Wolf.

One of my 10/22s loves the Wolf, another one likes CCI SV and Mini Mags. Even shoots pretty well with Federal bulk pack 550 count stuff. Noticed the other week that Walmart has that in stock again, after a two or three year hiatus.

Try out what you can find, one is bound to do well?
Dogface and Waynzee like this.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:42 PM

Mine eats just about anything I've ran through it, however I seem to like CCI Minimags the best. A lot of people recommend not using velocitors or other "hyper" velocity rounds. It can cause the action to cycle too quickly and jam up.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:53 PM
Regular Visitor

I have the 10/22 also , mine seems to shoot Remington yellow jacket hollow points pretty well. Also the thunderbolts shot good.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:53 PM

Years ago I shot 22 Winchester Eley target they shot very good, but I don't believe they make them any more. For squirrels I use subsonic loads because they don't scare the squirrels into panic.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page