Pro - Con .38 Super 1911 ACP. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By superd
  • 2 Post By Pahack
  • 1 Post By Dogface

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Pro - Con .38 Super 1911 ACP.

Interested in hearing opinions on the .38 Super in a 1911 ACP platform with emphasis on accuracy, ammo availability (looks pretty good), manufactures and general pro / con information.
I am a new, but now dedicated, .45 ACP shooter looking to expand the calibers I have beyond what I shoot and the .38 Super has caught my eye.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 08:37 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The Super and its mates (9x23,9mm Super comp, 38 Super comp, 38 TJ among others) have been used in USPSA extensively in open class guns. They have been capable of excellent 50yd accuracy. Dependent on the gun it could be a handload only proposition. The fullest potential of the cartridge is with a ramped barrel and handloads. Some guns are built to specs which need powder charges and pressure far exceeding standard. Compensators require greater pressure to operate efficiently.
What you are looking for dictates what manufacturer to follow. STI and SVI make fabulous full out compensated race guns built on modular hi cap frames( called 2011). Various specialty gunsmiths use STI frame parts and build some guns of equal or superior quality. Springfield has built some single and double stack guns which have great life expectancy and used by Rob Leathem to win national championships 30 or so times.
USPSA has changed it minimums within the past few years and many have switched to 9mm luger guns specially built on the hi cap frames. Care needs to be taken in these guns as pressure is very high and things can get dangerous in a hurry if you are careless.
Dogface, jimsdad and Pahack like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 06:16 AM

If your not punching paper or knocking down steel on a national circuit, stay away from 38 super and run a 9mm. Save yourself the brass cost. If your looking for a awesome 9mm 1911, take a hard look at the Colt Competition pistol. We put a hurting on one of these a year ago. Ran flawlessly and its a tackdriver.

https://www.colt.com/series/COMPETITION_SERIES
jimsdad and Marcus99 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 11:06 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahack View Post
If your not punching paper or knocking down steel on a national circuit, stay away from 38 super and run a 9mm.

That is a good point. Today's 9mm ammo is much improved and approaching 38 Super specs and is much more affordable to shoot.
Pahack likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
That is a good point. Today's 9mm ammo is much improved and approaching 38 Super specs and is much more affordable to shoot.

And brass grows on trees
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 05:04 AM
Part of the Community

Can't argue that 9mm is cheaper than .38 Super if you don't reload.

I can tell you that I have two .38 Supers, a full-build Colt Lightweight Commander that was done 16 years ago and a SIG P220, and I love the caliber. If it were in my budget, I'd get rid of every semi-auto caliber I have in favor of .38 Super, starting with .45ACP. My Commander, with its Schuemann barrel is, functionally, the most accurate semi-auto I own. I say "functionally," because I have some old match guns and some new semi-customs that are all supposed to be very accurate, but only the Colt .38 Super regularly shows me cloverleaf groups (I have a GP100 10mm conversion that I use the same "functional" accuracy statement for in regards to my revolvers).

The drawbacks are ammo price and availability, but there are some good options out there. The Colt is very mild recoiling; almost a flat sensation when shooting, despite the Lightweight frame. The SIG has a bit more noticeable muzzle flip, but you can tell you're shooting something with a bit more behind it than the .45 P220. 9mm ammo has come a long way, but the .38 Super started with a 130gr bullet around 1300fps in the 1920s. Most current ammo is pretty mild despite the "+P" labeling, but SIG and a couple of others still produce ammo in the ballpark of the original loads.

You won't likely be disappointed if you add a .38 Super, but there are more common, cheaper, and similar performing cartridges.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 11:47 AM
The Man

I have a friend who had a Colt Lightweight Commander. I really liked that gun but I never had one come my way. BTW it was accurate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page