Cleaning question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Cleaning question

So I cleaned some of my rifles today and had the same experience I always do. My standard cleaning process is to run several wet patches thru and then several strokes with a brass brush, then repeat this cycle several times. The first patch after the brush always comes out almost black. I feel like I could do this 100 times and the first patch after the brush would still be black. It makes me question weather I'm actually getting my gun clean. It only takes two or three patches after the brush to get a clean one, but as soon as I use the brush again, the first patch is black. Is it possible that this is just some kind of chemical reaction between the brush and my cleaning solution? I use a mixture of Bore Scrubber and Kroil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

I really dont know the tecnical reason behind it, but I can tell you from experience that it makes no difference which bore cleaner you choose, once you run a bore brush up and down a few times the patches will be black. It is just the way it is and nothing to be concerned over so long as the patches come out clean when you are finished.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Use a bore brush or another tip that makes the patch slightly tight to the bore... It will clean up faster...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 07:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

I always clean my rifles soon after firing. I run a tight oily patch thru the barrel several times,(usually Ballistol), or until shinny and clean. Never had to use a brush for routine cleaning.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 07:43 PM

I clean the barrel usually when I miss a deer. I went 9 years before Cleaning the barrel and harvesed over 15 deer between North Carolina and PA.

The widow maker (Browning 270) was retired last year and cleaned throughly before going back in the safe. Now using a Kimber 7mm-08 and only have 3 shots thru it. Was thinking about taking it out opening day but it was raining and only had a bear tag. But instead I just hunted from the house while watching hunting shows.

Life Member NRA
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:25 PM

Could be a dirty brush...

I know what you mean though, seems like you never get 100% clean.
willyp and jimsdad like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 09:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Bob View Post
So I cleaned some of my rifles today and had the same experience I always do. My standard cleaning process is to run several wet patches thru and then several strokes with a brass brush, then repeat this cycle several times. The first patch after the brush always comes out almost black. I feel like I could do this 100 times and the first patch after the brush would still be black. It makes me question weather I'm actually getting my gun clean. It only takes two or three patches after the brush to get a clean one, but as soon as I use the brush again, the first patch is black. Is it possible that this is just some kind of chemical reaction between the brush and my cleaning solution? I use a mixture of Bore Scrubber and Kroil.
Funny you mention this i was just thinking the same thing last week when i cleaned the rifles i used during the season. Had spotless patches and then ran a brush through again and next patch was dirty! Wasnt the brush as it was a brand new one. Repeated that cycle twice and bore looking shiny and clean with a bore light so i figured good enough and did a final patch with light oil on it and stored the rifles.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:30 PM
Part of the Community

As an avid benchrest shooter I am part of a group that is anal about barrel maintenance. First thing to know is there are 2 main things you need to clean from your rifles bore,the black carbon and then copper. Carbon is the residue from the powder burning . There are many brands of cleaning solutions to clean with, the 2 most seen at benchrest matches are Butches Bore Shine and Bore Tech Eliminator. They do a good job cleaning both the carbon and the copper fouling. When you run a patch or two of solvent and then a couple of dry patches through and the last one is clean, your barrel is NOT CLEAN. You have only taken the top layer of carbon off. If you run another wet patch or two down and let it sit all day or overnight you will be amazed at the additional carbon you will then dry patch out.This may take several days, do it until it sits overnight and then a dry patch is clean. Now the carbon is out,but you might still have quite a bit of copper in it. Might even have more carbon under a layer of copper. At this stage I then patch it with a product called Sweets to remove any copper. In a blued barrel the Sweets bottle will tell you to only leave the product in the barrel for 15 min. I have found an hour works better and causes no damage. With stainless barrel I leave it in overnight. It you leave in in until the product drys it will then form ammonia salts that may pit the bore. As long as you keep the bore wet with the product it will not harm it. Any blue coloration you see on the patch is copper. Again, it may require several applications until you get a clean white patch when you dry patch it out. At this point I do one more cycle with the regular bore cleaner to remove any carbon hiding under the copper you just removed. After you are satisfied put a DAMP patch of LIGHT oil through the bore. All barrel manufacturers recommend that you do not fire over a dry barrel after cleaning. All of these procedures I have learning over many years of competition and through the use of a bore scope. Always clean from the breech when possible. Invest in a good 1 piece cleaning rod and a bore guide when possible.
willyp, WildBill, drags and 5 others like this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 12:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

^^^this^^^

And to add, I have been using the Bore Tech CU+2 Copper Remover and have been very pleased. It has a carbon remover in it. On firearms that have not been meticulously maintained from day one, many layers build up of copper and carbon between well intentioned cleanings that do not fully clean all of the material out.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.

Last edited by mfuff; 12-19-2018 at 01:01 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:02 AM

Jeff is on the right track., I shoot benchrest also. Brass brushes always leave a black residue on the patch. Nylon brushes do not. I only use brass brushes when I encounter a stubborn case of carbon fouling. Bore Tech is my favor4ite cleaning solution, and I have tried them all.

benchrest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page