Over Under Scope Mounts - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Over Under Scope Mounts

I received a Marlin 30-30 as a birthday present many many years ago, the rifle is equipped with "over-under" scope mounts allowing the user to aim with either the iron sights, or the scope. I've seen guys comment on how this raises the scope up to an uncomfortable level, not allowing a proper cheek rest. To me, this is not a big deal. I learned how to shoot with this gun so I have a natural reflex to shoulder a rifle a bit lower than usual. My concern is with accuracy. I've always had a bit of trouble zeroing this gun. Mounting the scope at the higher height essentially increases the "opposite side" height of the triangle created by target, muzzle, and scope. Does this increased height play with accuracy at all? Now keep in mind, I use this gun for deer hunting tight brush in pa mountain game lands. I've never taken a shot past 100 yards and I dont believe I will ever be in that situation. So the question is, dealing with ranges from 10-100 yards, does an over-under scope have disadvantages when it comes to accuracy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 12:01 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Those mounts have been around forever, lots of guys use them. I have see through mounts on one of my rifles. Never had a problem with accuracy. I don;t think they are a problem at all.
Time2 likes this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 12:30 PM
Sage

I always figured when I was ready to shoot I didnlt want to take time to decide if I was going to use iron sights or the scope so regular rings and scope for me.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 12:52 PM

I've seen a ton of guys with these on their rifles and they all say they have them in case they have to use their iron sights. When I asked them how many times they used their iron sights, none of them ever had. The guy I bought my 10/22 put those rings on that rifle. I took them off almost immediately.
loridr and Buckskin Dave like this.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 12:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

A number of years ago I took them off of a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington that I was having trouble getting sighted in and the accuracy improved an unbelievable amount. After seeing it first hand I would never have a set on a rifle again. That being said plenty of guys still use them so they must work in certain situation.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257 View Post
A number of years ago I took them off of a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington that I was having trouble getting sighted in and the accuracy improved an unbelievable amount. After seeing it first hand I would never have a set on a rifle again. That being said plenty of guys still use them so they must work in certain situation.
That's been my experience, I always have trouble zeroing the rifle. I think I'm going to remove them, and try to find regular mounts for a 336.
Dogface likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mechanically/physically mounting the scope higher will not have a technical impact on accuracy but it might have a practical effect. That lack of cheek weld will induce parallax effects. Don't know what scope you have but it probably doesn't have an adjustable objective (AO allows you to put the crosshair in the same plane as the target at a dialed in distance). So without AO your scope is preset for parallax at some distance, maybe 150yds. If so, at 150yds your eye can move all around in the scope eyepiece and the crosshairs will stay centered on the target if the gun isn't moving, crosshair and target are projected in the same plane, like the crosshair is painted on the target. But at 50 yards unless your eye is in perfect alignment with the physical position of the crosshair and the target your impact will be off even if the crosshair is on the target. The crosshair and the target are now in 2 different planes. In other words if your eye is not centered you are going to compensate by moving the crosshair onto the target which will be moving the bullet off the target.
Dogface and GSP66 like this.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you want the option of scope or iron sights flip off mounts work well. I have Leupold on my 375HH, a good option on a dangerous game gun in case the scope is damaged. I can flip it on and off and maintain excellent point of impact out to 300 yards, less than 2 inches POI change at that distance, acceptable for any sort of big game. I've shot a number of animals with it in the 200-300 yard range. That little picture thingy to the left is the gun.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:12 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead View Post
I've seen a ton of guys with these on their rifles and they all say they have them in case they have to use their iron sights. When I asked them how many times they used their iron sights, none of them ever had. The guy I bought my 10/22 put those rings on that rifle. I took them off almost immediately.
I agree with this. I put the see thru mounts on my 336 .35 marlin many years ago in case the scope fogged up, snow, rain or other issues necessitated being able to use the iron sites. -Has yet to happen-

That being said I still have the Kwik site mounts on it with a 4x Redfield Compact scope. This setup stays locked in accurate year after year. 1 shot each year is all it usually takes to prove it is still dead on. This year I slipped a fell pretty hard on a rocky slope. I was concerned it may knocked the scope out of zero. 1 Shot back at camp proved it was still dead on. In my case the over / under mount work fine for me.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:24 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead View Post
I've seen a ton of guys with these on their rifles and they all say they have them in case they have to use their iron sights. When I asked them how many times they used their iron sights, none of them ever had.
That's pretty much the case. In all the years I've had that rifle I have never once used the iron sights. And one step farther I can never remember any time when shooting at game did I ever consider if I should use the iron sights.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page