Ammo for new rifle - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Ammo for new rifle

I picked up a Savage Axis XP in .308 yesterday. Does anyone have one? What ammo does it like? I picked up a box of 150gr. Corke Lokts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 05:00 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It will be luck of the draw. You can have consecutively numbered identical rifles that will not like the same load. So trial and error. Some if not most rifles will shoot a bunch of loads to hunting accuracy
bohunr and Marcus99 like this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 05:08 PM
Sage

Shoot several different brands and you will find which one your rifle likes best. My Mod 88 Win in .308 likes Rem core lokts in 150 grn and they have done a great job putting deer on the ground, but not all rifles like them. The best suggestion you will get it to try several and then decide.
bohunr likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:00 PM

My son’s Axis shoots Federal Fusion the best. I can’t find them locally so I bought some Hornady Whitetail to try when those run out.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:17 PM

Just an example , I bought a used 25-06 for deer years back . It's a target version , so I knew it should shoot well . I wanted to stay with 100 gr. or larger bullets for deer . After testing 4 different manufacturers loads , it still wouldn't group less that 2 inches at 100 yds. I took the rifle back to the dealership thinking they would have to have their gunsmith go over it and find out what may be wrong . He found a box of Winchester 90 gr. Expanding points for me to try instead . The gun printed clover leafs at 100 yds. and 1 inch groups at 200 yds. It took $120.00 worth of ammo , but now I know what the rifle likes .
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 08:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It's a .308. You shouldn't have much trouble finding something it likes.
Laylow likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 06:35 AM

You should have bought 2 from the same lot number.At this point you may not have the time to test several different brands/bullet weights.Make sure you sight it in with the ammo you are going to use.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 07:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findmeinthewoods View Post
I picked up a Savage Axis XP in .308 yesterday. Does anyone have one? What ammo does it like? I picked up a box of 150gr. Corke Lokts.

If you are hunting deer or bear, 150gr corelokts are fine. Now if you plan on "match shooting" you can experiment as suggested. Don't complicate things for hunting accuracy. IMHO

Last edited by 1stlight; 11-25-2018 at 07:23 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiamovi View Post
You should have bought 2 from the same lot number.At this point you may not have the time to test several different brands/bullet weights.Make sure you sight it in with the ammo you are going to use.
I am going to the gun club today to shoot and sight it in. I don't need to use it for deer hunting this year if I don't want to. The only reason I purchased it was because it was too good of a deal to pass up. $229 for rifle and scope... I know it isn't the greatest gun in the world and the optic isn't the best either, but as a backup gun I think that price tag makes sense.

Excited to get out on the bench and see what it likes to eat.

Thanks for all the replies!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:50 AM
The Man

Its a Savage. It will probably shoot everything well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page