The legendary .300 Weatherby Magnum.... - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 11:05 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by superd View Post
The only thing the 300 Weatherby gives up to the 338 Win Mag is bullet diameter which doesn't matter with proper bullet placement and placement. If you want to step up go to the 340 Weatherby.

It doesn't give up much there considering the availability of newer bullet designs like the Barnes. It is a great cartridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 11:06 AM
The Man

For the hunting that I do, I much prefer my own legendary .300 - - -Savage that is.
Dogface, treedaddy and Pahack like this.
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 11:50 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

The 300 WBY does have a noticable blast. Whenever I shoot, all the guys at camp know it was me.
Pahack likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 12:17 PM
The Man

I have never fired a Mark V, but I hear they are fine rifles. Personally though, I would not give you 2 cents for a Vanguard. I won one in .300 WBY at a NRA banquet once and it was the most ill-fitting rifle I have ever shouldered. The stock was WAY too short for me which forced me to creep up on the scope. So far that I was very fearful of getting cracked in the forehead with the scope if I touched it off. I never even fired it and sold it within a week. I'm sure there are those who fit them well, but I am not one of them.
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 04:58 PM

It's a has been of a cartridge that appeals to the older crowd. In my more foolish days I've owned the 257 Bee, two 7mm Rem Mags, two 300 Win Mags, a 308 Norma Mag, a 338 Winchester mag, and a 350 Rem Mag. I grew some sense and sent all that belted stuff down the road. Belts are so dated anyway and serve no useful purpose. If I could go back and do it over again I wouldn't bother with any of that stuff. I've since learned there is no animal I can't kill and no shot I can't take in PA with a 308 Winchester. And I see what the younger crowd is doing with their 6.5 Creedmoors and it's tempting me to get in on that action. Now there is a cartridge! And it's certain to have much more impact on the hunting scene than the 300 Weatherby ever did. I'm contemplating getting a Creedmoor and taking it to Africa. The guys that are doing it are doing some good things over there with them.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh6412 View Post
A quick check of the Internet found pricing for ammo to be around $55 - $60 a box. I'm sure you can do better on sale or if you reload. I agree that Weatherby ammo that is loaded by Norma is of top quality.

Good Luck Hunting

Ammoseek.com is your friend.

demokraten saugen
post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 05:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

I can’t see the creedmoor having close to the impact that the weatherby rounds, particularly the .300, have had.
Dogface and .257 like this.
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercreep View Post
It's a has been of a cartridge that appeals to the older crowd.
Has been ?? A remark such as that should invalidate anything else in this post as spouted by either a hater or one entirely oblivious to reality. Or both. Might be due to the fact that with age comes wisdom. Just sayin'...…….

The .300 Wby is not among the top 10 in cartridge sales in the U.S. But in Alaska...……..where your rifle COULD mean your life...…...the "has been" is currently #8.

Quote:
Belts are so dated anyway and serve no useful purpose.

The belt is just one way of headspacing a round in the chamber. Using that logic, I suppose the advent of the turbocharged V-6 has made the V-8 dated and also serving no useful purpose, as well.

Quote:
And I see what the younger crowd is doing with their 6.5 Creedmoors and it's tempting me to get in on that action. Now there is a cartridge! And it's certain to have much more impact on the hunting scene than the 300 Weatherby ever did.
The 6.5 Creedmoor the answer to a question nobody ever asked. All it has is the cool name factor that all the runny-nosed kids get all tingly over. It would maybe be something if the .260 Rem hadn't been standardized over 20 years ago. There is less difference between the Creedmoor and the .260 Rem than there is between the .30-'06 and the .308 Win. In fact, the .260 Rem surpasses the Creedmoor's numbers with 120 grainers.

I won't likely be here 75 years from now to say "I told ya so"...……………..but I'd lay some of my grandkids money that the .300 Wby will be more popular when it's 150 years old than the Creedmoor will be when it's 75.
Tony300wby and .257 like this.

demokraten saugen
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahack View Post
But whats about the TREE HUNDRED WINNY????
Timeless classic, as well. I have 2 of them and, at one time, loaded for 6 of them. One of my all-time favorite rounds !!!!

Think of the .300 Win Mag -vs- the .300 Wby Mag like the .308 Win -vs- the ..30-'06. Basically the .300 Wby Gives you the same velocities as the .300 Win but one step up in bullet weight. A 200 grainer at roughly 3100 in the Wby as compared to roughly 3100 for the 180 in the Win Mag.
Pahack likes this.

demokraten saugen
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 06:05 PM

I agree that today's bullets have changed/improved the capability of less powerful rounds, and if I were a young hunter I might get a 7-08 or 308 and that might be all I would ever need for almost any deer or black bear hunting. It may very well be an old guy round, the 300 wby. I see the creedmore as pure and simple marketing surging quickly to the top, burning out to a spectacular splash, and lots of cheap used ones on the racks...........of course I've been wrong before. But then again many capable rounds suffered the same fate over the years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page