6.5 Creedmoor info? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

6.5 Creedmoor info?

I have been looking into getting a 6.5 since last year but after last rifle season I am having a hard time making a decision. My uncle bought a 6.5 savage ultra light hunter but he had missed a buck and almost lost a doe due to a major flaw in the gun when working the bolt there was so much play the actual bolt wiggled and the buck he couldn't get the bolt to close because it was pinching due the wiggle the bolt would close straight and the doe he shot and the bolt again did the same thing to the point where he couldn't get a second shot at all. He was so mad he called the dealer savage and they took the rifle and returned it with a note "cleaned bore filings from bolt chamber" but it still did the same issue as it had nothing to do with bore filings. I looked at an axis savage 6.5 over the weekend and sure its the most affordable but the bolt had play in it and the magazine was plastic and cheap not what I want on a rifle. I had seen a video on Johnny's reloading channel on youtube where he bought a Thompson 6.5 for cheap with rebates and he also noted the bolt had some play. Is this a common thing or is it just in cheaper rifles? I would like to think in the heat of the moment I would still be calm enough to chamber a round without jamming the gun but then again my uncle has been hunting 2 states for over 40 years has a buck in the records and still had the issue. Anyone on here own a 6.5 that you recommend I am looking for more of a hunting rifle for maybe someday long range hunts but I want a good rifle for the money if I have to spend it.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:58 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think it's just what you get with cheap guns. There's no free lunch. Not jamming, but a loose bolt. But hey, my dad had the same thing happen to him. He short stroked the bolt and the empty didn't eject. He couldn't close the bolt for a follow-up shot. That was with a $2000 Sako.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is a fine hunting round.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 08:32 AM
New Arrival

I agree with WOL that you get what you pay for. I bought my daughter an entry level Mossberg that had several issues besides sloppy bolt play. Over the last 10 years manufacturers have made entry level guns accurate and inexpensive. However, they aren't made for high volume shooting. Keep an eye out for the sales online (Davidsons Gallery of Guns and Midway). In the last few years I have added a Weatherby, Bergara, Tikka (2), and Mannlicher to my safe. All are exceptionally accurate and well made. The best part is they were all in the $600 - $800 range (w/o scopes).

As for the 6.5 CM its a sweet cartridge. The main attributes of the cartridge are its low recoil (think .243), accuracy and power. Its a long bullet that penetrates deeply. Its a little more powerful than the 6.5 x 55mm Swede and the Swedes have been using the 6.5 x 55mm for 100 years for moose hunting so it has plenty of power.

Is the 6.5 CM overhyped - probably. It doesn't kill a deer any deader than a .270, .280, 7mm-08, 25-06 etc. But it does have less recoil and muzzle blast which makes it great for young hunters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:09 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller17015 View Post
he had missed a buck and almost lost a doe due to a major flaw in the gun when working the bolt there was so much play the actual bolt wiggled and the buck he couldn't get the bolt to close because it was pinching due the wiggle the bolt would close straight and the doe he shot and the bolt again did the same thing to the point where he couldn't get a second shot at all.
\

Tell your uncle to try hitting the deer on the first shot. That will eliminate any necessity to work the bolt for a second shot.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:35 AM
Frequent Contributor

My recommendations would be to look at either Tikka or Bergara, my buddy has one of each and both of them are tack drivers. If your looking for light take the Tikka and a bit on the heavy side take the Bergara due to the barrel profiles on them. Another alternative would be the Browning X-bolt, my dad has several and all are great shooters with some of the smoothest actions I’ve seen on a factory action.

I personally am not a fan of the cheaper ($400 and below) budget rifles for a couple reasons. While modern manufacturing has given them the capability to achieve better accuracy they still suffer from lack of quality in other parts to make up for it. In most cases the plastic stocks are made to be as cheap as possible and the actions are typically rough as less finished machining and polishing is done to save cost. Additionally the steel in the barrel is of lower quality leading to them being shot out sooner than other rifles. All this combine makes for a rifle that works well for the hunter who shoots a couple sighters and one or two deer a year but falls flat for someone who requires more from their rifles.

I look at it this way, I buy guns with the intention of keeping them for my entire life so if it is more cost effective to buy a new gun rather than rebarrel it there is a good chance it won’t hold up to my standards of quality.

Now for the 6.5 Creedmoor, I personally think it is an excellent cartridge for what it was designed for, long range target shooting. For hunting it is similar to other short action cartridges like the .243, .257 Roberts, .260 Rem and 7mm-08. The one advantage that it has is that it is loaded with heavy for caliber bullets that have increased penetration over the other offerings as well as greater retained energy at long range due to high BC bullets. I just got my 6.5 a month ago so I have no personal experience with the round on deer but if I get one this year with it I will let you know.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:55 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

The recoil is remarkably light. A pleasure to shoot.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:02 AM
New Arrival

6.5 Creedmoor

I too purchased a 6.5 Creedmoor a month ago. Took it to the range and was super pleased with the accuracy at 100 yds. Looking forward to hunting with it, a Browning X-Bolt Hunter (wood/blued) for which I paid $750 at my local gun shop - W.E. Sell Sporting Goods in Hanover.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerev View Post
I too purchased a 6.5 Creedmoor a month ago. Took it to the range and was super pleased with the accuracy at 100 yds. Looking forward to hunting with it, a Browning X-Bolt Hunter (wood/blued) for which I paid $750 at my local gun shop - W.E. Sell Sporting Goods in Hanover.
I was looking at the Brownings

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
\

Tell your uncle to try hitting the deer on the first shot. That will eliminate any necessity to work the bolt for a second shot.
The buck he hadn't even loaded the rifle yet when the buck came trotting out infront of him the doe we got but the shot was rushed and in a brushy area as she came running up on him just the fact the bolt was jamming so bad he couldn't get the first shell loaded was terrible he traded the gun in and bought himself a 300 for his moose hunt next year, he didn't need it just like to buy guns which he has a lot of but he said he will no longer buy savage.
Dogface likes this.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:21 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

A good value rifle would be a Weatherby Vanguard. About the best rifle for the money that I know of. You can get one for $500-600. A hundred or so more than the cheapest rifles, but the quality is 10x more.
triggercreep likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page