2Likes
  • 1 Post By dce
  • 1 Post By schappellt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

Barnes ttsx

I've been loading these bullets in several different calibers over the past three years and really like their performance.I started off with my son's Kimber Montana a couple years ago with 130gr ttsx in front of 48.5 gr of varget.I have the exact same rifle but load the 150gr TTSX in front of 46.3 gr of varget.I shot the two loads side by side today and didn't notice a lick of difference in recoil so I just sighted my son's rifle in with the 150's.I then shot my old standby load of 165gr accubonds in front of 45gr of varget.The recoil isn't what I would call obnoxious but it was noticeably more harsh than the 150gr ttsx.Could the reduced bearing surface on the ttsx's actually reduce the felt recoil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 03:34 PM

but do the 130's and 150's hit in the same place regardless of recoil ?

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

Surprisingly,they did.I never touched the scope after shooting the 150's.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 04:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce View Post
I've been loading these bullets in several different calibers over the past three years and really like their performance.I started off with my son's Kimber Montana a couple years ago with 130gr ttsx in front of 48.5 gr of varget.I have the exact same rifle but load the 150gr TTSX in front of 46.3 gr of varget.I shot the two loads side by side today and didn't notice a lick of difference in recoil so I just sighted my son's rifle in with the 150's.I then shot my old standby load of 165gr accubonds in front of 45gr of varget.The recoil isn't what I would call obnoxious but it was noticeably more harsh than the 150gr ttsx.Could the reduced bearing surface on the ttsx's actually reduce the felt recoil?
this is from luckygunner

Bullet Weight vs. Recoil: A lot of people intuitively believe there must be some link between bullet weight and recoil. If I want lighter recoil loads for my handgun, I should choose a lighter bullet weight, right?

Not necessarily.

If the lighter bullets were pushed to the same velocity as the heavier bullets then simple physics would dictate that the recoil impulse would be reduced. But as I mentioned earlier, lighter bullets are usually loaded to fly at greater velocities in order to make up for their low mass. In fact, a high velocity light bullet might even have more recoil than a heavier bullet that’s moving slower. Or… the heavier bullet could have more recoil depending on the load. For example, if the cartridge has a fast burning propelllant, the recoil could hit you all at once, translating to a sharp snap against your hand or shoulder. A slow burning powder might distribute the recoil force over a longer period which feels like softer recoil. There is really just no way to determine what recoil is going to feel like by looking at bullet weight alone.
Dogface likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:33 PM
The Man

Just a guess. The TTSX has rings cut out around its circumference to reduce pressure. They may make the felt recoil feel lighter because the bullet has areas of reduced contact with the rifling.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
Just a guess. The TTSX has rings cut out around its circumference to reduce pressure. They may make the felt recoil feel lighter because the bullet has areas of reduced contact with the rifling.
That's what I was asking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page