browning hi power - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

browning hi power

Hi, does anyone have one of these? I just bought one and have been told they don't like Plus P loads only the standard loads. Is there anything I need to know about these pistols?
I haven't shot it yet but really feels good in my hand and points great.
any info would be great.
thanks
Loggy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:11 PM
The Man

I have a Satin Chrome 9mm. Factory adjustable sights, purty gold trigger and Pachmayr Signature grips........ Slickest operating SA pistol ever devised, IMO.

Never heard of the +P ammo being a no-no. Never ran any of it through mine. So I can't help you there.

demokraten saugen
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:17 PM

They're a fine pistol. I've never heard anything about the +P ammo. I wouldn't make a habit of shooting much +P through ANY gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:19 PM
The Man

Found this elsewhere:

This discussion comes up frequently in the Forum, and as such makes an appropriate topic here. +P and +P+ ammunition, though not recommended for use in Hi Power by Browning, has been used in small quantities without adverse affect, and in larger quantities to properly prepped guns without issue.

"Browning...... forwarded a copy of an internal test report in which it fired 5000 rounds of Remington +P+ 9mm ammunition in a Browning Hi Power pistol. "Inspection of the Hi Power system reveled no unnatural wear to the locking surfaces or any other area. Headspace was checked and found to be acceptable." The conclusion: "...the 9mm Hi Power system appears to be durable enough to withstand long-term shooting of the new ammunition from Remington."

Please note that extended or steady use of +P and +P+ ammunition will accelerate wear in modern Hi Powers, as it does in nearly every other handgun. The use of extra power recoil springs (such as a Wolf 18.5lb variant for 9mm) or recoil buffers such as those from Shok-buff can counter this pounding, and add service life to those pistols using the higher pressure ammo. Use of +P and +P+ ammo should be avoided altogether in older Hi Powers however, particularly early WWII specimens. I myself restrict usage of +P ammo to my newer MKIII variants only."

demokraten saugen
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the reply, this one is an older Belgium made blued, adjustable sights, from the early 70's. Price was right, owner couldn't find the mag so I have to pick one up.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:03 PM
Sage

I have a Browning Hi Power Practical(Belgium made) 9mm I bought new in 1993. Likely shot over 5,000 rounds through it including +P. Still functions as new and never had a hiccup in over 25 years. Great choice....IMO you got yourself the best SA there is!! Best of luck!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:46 PM

I've always said that John Browning fixed all his mistakes on the 1911 with the Hi-Power.

I've got two, the 9mm and 40smith. Both newer production, 9mm was brand new like 15ish years ago. I've never tried the +P stuff, but I did find out that they beefed up the springs at some point. That was why I couldn't cycle lower power target stuff. I became a master at removing those dang hammer springs. One of these days I'm going to do a full work up on both, if I ever work through my backlog of projects.

Oh, and pony up for the factory mags. I've had nothing but problems with mine with the couple aftermarket mags I've tried. I don't think they use a heavy enough spring. Of course I didn't try them after I changed out the springs. I just pay for factory mags and don't worry.

Even without a mag, if you got it for less than $8-900 i'd say you're doing good. I watched one sell at an auction last spring for close to a grand, nothing special. Although, I am kinda envious of my buddy. He picked up a wartime Hi-Power that has Nazi eagle/swastika markings on it with one of the tangent German rear sights. The things we find when I don't have enough money.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:52 PM
The Man

The Hi Power is used by many armies including many NATO members. NATO 9mm ammo is hot probably as hot as any commercial 9mm +P.

I put everything through mine including some Israeli 9mm that was loaded for use in the Uzi. I never had an issue or a concern.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:54 PM
Sage

One of my purdiest toys!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 10:59 PM
The Man

That is pretty!!
Loggy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page