Why you may not want to go to all copper bullets - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By triggercreep
  • 1 Post By Pahack

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Why you may not want to go to all copper bullets

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...bullet-failure

All you have to do is scroll through this thread and look at the pictures. Lots of monometal bullets (mostly Barnes TTSX) that failed to fully expand (or even expand at all) in game animals. There's a move to ban lead and make us use these bullets but these aren't the results I want.
bohunr and bad primer like this.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:48 PM

Try Maker Bullets.... Love them....
schappellt likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:52 PM

Never had a problem with Cutting Edge bullets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercreep View Post
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...bullet-failure

All you have to do is scroll through this thread and look at the pictures. Lots of monometal bullets (mostly Barnes TTSX) that failed to fully expand (or even expand at all) in game animals. There's a move to ban lead and make us use these bullets but these aren't the results I want.
the biggest issue in that thread seems to be people not knowing the specs of the bullets. the monolithic bullets have speeds that they are rated to expand at. below a set speed and they will not open, plus many require a wet hit to expand. shoulder shots means that bullet isnt gonna do what its supposed to. the ttsx in a 30 cal needs about 2000 fps to expand on impact. I have read numerous times that you want to use a lighter faster bullet when using a something like a ttsx. for longer ranges barnes offers a LRX bullet which is rated down to 1600 fps.

companies like Makers and Lehigh do offer bullets that expand at much lower velocities or have petals designed to break off on purpose and have a base continue. it just requires the shooter to know those things before using and making the shot.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:37 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by schappellt View Post
the biggest issue in that thread seems to be people not knowing the specs of the bullets. the monolithic bullets have speeds that they are rated to expand at. below a set speed and they will not open, plus many require a wet hit to expand. shoulder shots means that bullet isnt gonna do what its supposed to. the ttsx in a 30 cal needs about 2000 fps to expand on impact. I have read numerous times that you want to use a lighter faster bullet when using a something like a ttsx. for longer ranges barnes offers a LRX bullet which is rated down to 1600 fps.

companies like Makers and Lehigh do offer bullets that expand at much lower velocities or have petals designed to break off on purpose and have a base continue. it just requires the shooter to know those things before using and making the shot.
Exactly. There is a reason why you see so many people who use a mono type bullet going to a lighter bullet weight and smoking it out as fast as possible.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 10:42 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've been using Barnes X, XLC, Triple Shocks and TTSX bullets since 1997. Loaded for family and buddies as well. All animals bit the dust quick and skinning and guting revealed devistating internal damage. Only one was recovered. It was a 150 grain from a 308 Win. It went through both shoulders of a buck and was under the hide of the off shoulder. It looked exactly like the pictures in the ad. Perfect and full expansion.

You only hear about the fails. It's like Tripadvisor reviews. If you have a decent time, you aren't creating an account and writing a review. I wonder how many Barnes X successes there are for every failure?

My dad shot a doe at 20 yards with a 140 grain Accubond from a 7mm Rem Mag. It didn't exit and the deer didn't leave a blood trail. There was about 18 inches of snow, so it was easy to follow the tracks. She ran about 150 yards and dropped. No blood. It was a factory round, Federal I think.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 01:48 PM

Bear creek ballistics makes a 285 gr round for the .450 bushmaster which is designed to shoot out of bolt actions only. It looked pretty impressive but at $55 a box (almost $70 after shipping) I'll stick with the 250 Gr hornady's I use now.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 03:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have shot a few deer with the Barnes X, TTSX, and TSX bullets with fine results.

I agree with what schappellt says; your bullets have to match the impact velocity.
I also agree with WOL; "You only hear about the fails".

Good luck, Tony
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 07:41 PM
Sage

Have good luck with Barnes copper Spit-Fire T-EZ muzzleloading offerings out of my inline. Killed several deer plus a TN wild boar with bullet performing as designed. No experience with copper out of cfs.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page