What is this barrel? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes
  • 3 Post By jmbear12
  • 1 Post By simoncool
  • 1 Post By bpottorff
  • 3 Post By jmbear12

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

I stopped at my LGS today, and he had a Savage 111 sitting on the rack. It's not a sexy gun by any stretch, but I have seen what the caliber can do out of the right gun, so i'm intrigued. It was originally a 30-06, but it was rebarreled to a 25-06. The new barrel is a stainless bull barrel, and the only marking on it is "CROSSHAIRS .25-06". A quick search on the interwebs has yielded no information based on what I have to go on. Anybody have any kind of insight on where that barrel may have come from, and if it's of a decent quality?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181108_122507_1541701554355.jpg (1.87 MB, 40 views)

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 01:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I Googled "Crosshair Gunsmithing" and got a positive result for the Gettysburg area. It's my guess that gun was rebarreled by that shop.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

I dont see a barrel nut. My guess is a custom job then the guy asked to have it engraved like that. The only markings on an aftermarket barrel are on the breach end, and that is removed when you chamber it.

A quick look with a bore scope and you could tell real quick if is a quality barrel.

Last edited by Gunnermhr; 11-08-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 01:46 PM

And how long is that barrel? Looks longer than "normal".

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
I Googled "Crosshair Gunsmithing" and got a positive result for the Gettysburg area. It's my guess that gun was rebarreled by that shop.
Thanks... that was the info I needed. I had searched "Crosshair barrel" and a few of that nature, and didn't come up with anything.

I wound up calling the fella and getting some back story on the gun, or at least the barrel. He said that the gun in its current condition bears little resemblance to the one that left his shop, so somebody else has been tinkering with it. Foremost, they removed it from a bedded stock and made it fit back into the factory tupperware, for some reason or another. He was pretty sure the barrel was either Kreiger, Hart or Brooks, so that answered the question of the barrel make. He told me the price the LGS was asking was less than he paid for the barrel blank, and speculated it'd be a good buy, so I went ahead and got it. I'll just want to check it over real well before I throw any rounds in the pipe. I've been wanting to try my hand at bedding an action, so I think this may be a good ginuea pig for that project.

Just what I needed, another project gun!

Thanks all for the insight!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 06:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbear12 View Post
Thanks... that was the info I needed. I had searched "Crosshair barrel" and a few of that nature, and didn't come up with anything.
If they went to the expense of a good barrel, and all mentioned are, I'm betting the stock that was on the rifle was also worth more than you paid for the rifle. Sounds like you have the makings of a fun project and great gun. Let us know how she shoots when you get her put together. Good luck.

PS....I've never bedded an action in a synthetic stock, but a couple of guys have told me it can be tricky to get the glass to stick to the stock. I guess this is especially true with cheaper stocks, where you would be most likely to see the benefits of the bedding.
bohunr likes this.

Last edited by simoncool; 11-08-2018 at 06:56 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 07:12 PM

Use a Dremel tool to put a ledge or lip inside the action channel for a mechanical hold. I have roughened up the channel with a Dremel tool, then a ledge, then clean with denturated . alcohol.
bohunr likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
If they went to the expense of a good barrel, and all mentioned are, I'm betting the stock that was on the rifle was also worth more than you paid for the rifle.
That's what baffles me.... why would someone take a custom-built rifle out of a quality bedded stock, and go through the effort of trying to make the factory stock do the same thing? I just had it apart... someone spent plenty of time trying to put a tuxedo on that turd. They also trimmed down the magazine well, just to add to the mystery.

On the plus side, the trigger is lovely, and the action seems smooth and solid. After cycling a few snap caps, it seems like everything is mechanically sound, although I'd like to check it with a no-go gauge at some point before I shoot it. I think a half-decent stock and a bedding job would bring her close to what it should be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181108_194606_1541728690403.jpg (636.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20181108_194714_1541728768232.jpg (754.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20181108_194636_1541728801022.jpg (537.4 KB, 9 views)

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

I'm resurrecting this post from the dead to update....

I've been slowly picking at this gun since turkey season ended, and hopefully a few more weeks will have me ready to send some rounds downrange.

I may have done things backwards, but I went ahead and ordered a SWFA SS 12x42 scope, Burris Signature rings, and an EGW 20MOA rail. The logic being that I could at least shoot it in its current stock with these things (hasn't happened, but I digress). The rail needed bedded, so I tried my hand at that, and believe it was successful. The rings and scope installed easily, so the next test for those will be on the range.

After frustrating myself researching stocks, I've got a Boyd's Pro Varmint on order. Yes, there's better options out there, but it had the look and color I wanted, and I plan to install pillars and bed the action anyway. The bedding compound and pillars are on their way also, so hopefully I'll have all the components in a week or so. This will be my first shot at bedding, so I'll be taking my time and hopefully will do a serviceable job.

I bought this rifle figuring it would become a fun project, and thus far I'm not disappointed. I'm a little apprehensive about the upcoming bedding job, but there's lots of good information out there to steer me in the right direction. I hope to have another positive update in a few weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190616_154806_1563845744172.jpg (1.59 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20190618_164426_1563845764978.jpg (1.90 MB, 5 views)
bohunr, hunter-trapper21 and .257 like this.

Last edited by jmbear12; 07-23-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page