Got a New Rifle - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Got a New Rifle

Just got it into my head recently that I wanted a new rifle. I got my son a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor for Christmas last year and we went to the range. I shot his gun and my 300 Weatherby back-to-back and came to a couple realizations. The Weatherby is heavy and long. It also kicks like a mule. The little 6.5 was light and handy and pointed like a shotgun. It also kicked very little.

So, I got myself a Savage Axis in 7mm-08 Remington. I got a Herters scope from Cabela's and will be mounting it tonight. Gun was $304 and the scope was $50. I'll be shooting it this weekend.

By the way, the Herters scopes are a great deal. I got one for the 6.5 and it's awesome. I love it. I'll bet the don't stay cheap for long.
bohunr, hct4all, Dogface and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 03:00 PM

My wife shoots that Savage Axis 7mm/08, but hers has that Flamingo hunter stock on it. I could not believe what a solid shooter it is. I handload her a 139 gr Hornady interlock, and they are running like a dream! Good luck with it, she knocked her buck down on the spot last year!
bohunr, hct4all and GSP66 like this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 07:04 AM

New guns are always nice.How did it shoot?

Bob Seger,till it shines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 03:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahack View Post
My wife shoots that Savage Axis 7mm/08, but hers has that Flamingo hunter stock on it. I could not believe what a solid shooter it is. I handload her a 139 gr Hornady interlock, and they are running like a dream! Good luck with it, she knocked her buck down on the spot last year!

My son has a TC Venture 7mm-08 .. I loaded the same bullets for him. Shoots very nice groups! I really enjoy shooting his gun. I did find that 162 gr Hornady ELD-x and HPBT produce an even slightly tighter of a group out of his gun.

If I ever want something other than my 30 cals for deer - it'll be a 7mm-08
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

The gun shot great. Not the best trigger, but still good enough to shoot 1.25" groups at 100 yards. I tried 140 grain factory core-lokts, 140 grain factory Hornady Interocks and handloaded 140 grain Barnes Triple Shocks and 150 grain Banres Tipped Tripple Shocks. The two 140 grain factory loads and the 140 grain Barnes hand loads hit in the same spot. Which is good. I love the 150 grain Barnes in a higher velocity round but feel like I want a little more than the 7mm-08 can push it to get maximum expansion. The 140 grain X bullets are moving faster, so they are perfect. The only problem is that I only had a few left. But, since they print the same as the factory, I will load Barnes X bullets in the magazine and have a few factory 140 grains in my pocket in case I need them.

Anyway, gun feels great to shoot. Fits well, points easy, and recoil is mild. Took it out bear hunting in the deep snow and it was an easy carry.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
I did find that 162 gr Hornady ELD-x and HPBT produce an even slightly tighter of a group out of his gun.
What kind of velocity are you getting with those bullets?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 06:26 PM

Yeah, there's no reason to lug around a 300 Weatherby. I mean all there is to hunt here is deer and black bear. It's not an African safari around here. I like the 7mm-08 too.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 08:09 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercreep View Post
Yeah, there's no reason to lug around a 300 Weatherby.

Sure there is !!!

More than one....

1. They are WAY cool.

2. They work VERY well for just about anything at any sane distance.

3. They kick a little less than the .340 Wby and WAY less than a .375 Wby for those days when you're feeling a tad less froggy.

4. You want to

5. You can.

I'm sure there are several more reasons I didn't think of off the top of my head.

demokraten saugen
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:02 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My wife decided after 39 years she wanted a new rifle and give the 788 to the grandkids to hunt with. We stopped at the shop to check them all out and working actions and kicking tires, a Tikka T3X compact in 7mm08 was ordered. A Leupold 2.5 x 8 v3 was installed on it with Warne rings. I left everything up to her and let her decide what she wanted after looking at all the alternatives. Shoots like a Tikka, smooth and tight groups.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Sure there is !!!

More than one....

1. They are WAY cool.

2. They work VERY well for just about anything at any sane distance.

3. They kick a little less than the .340 Wby and WAY less than a .375 Wby for those days when you're feeling a tad less froggy.

4. You want to

5. You can.

I'm sure there are several more reasons I didn't think of off the top of my head.
I think you covered all my reasons in the above.

When I was a kid, I read a lot of hunting and shooting magazines. The 300 Weatherby was the holy grail and I always wanted one. Finally made it happen when I was 30 years old. Hunted with it faithfully for 17 seasons. Shot a couple bucks with it and a good amount of doe. I served me well. For the next few seasons, it will be a special occasion gun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page