Anybody packing a sccy? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Anybody packing a sccy?

I picked up a sccy cxp2 to carry. Reviews are very good on this gun but as my luck would have it , I’m having issues. I’m not jumping to any conclusions yet but I ran one mag through it and the last round did not properly strip from the mag. Just chalked it up to everything being new. Second mag did that on about every other round. Third attempt was inconsistent. I only bought one box of ammo with it and it is my first semi auto pistol. I am using browning training and practice ammo, 115gr Fmj. When it sticks the bullet gets dented on the tip by the feed ramp. I’m hoping a different brand of ammo will solve the problem.

If anyone is carrying one of these what holster are you using? Selection is a bit limited for this gun but they are out there. Just looking for recommendations. Owb most likely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 05:30 AM

I don't own one but some shops will let you try holsters before you buy.Dunham's where I live will let you return them if they don't fit your gun.As far as the other issue if you didn't take it apart and clean it before firing it now is the time to do it.I also use one small drop of thin oil on slide contact points.You need to clean that new Victory also or the same thing will happen after a few shots.You need to field strip and clean both.I use rubbing alcohol and cloth patches and where needed Q tips for tight places.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 08:23 AM
Sage

Couple mths ago was in the market for a carry 9 and did a lot of reading on the SCCY and was impressed on the reviews. Don't remember any cycling problems. The price was very attractive for sure. I ended up with a Smith Shield based upon my good luck with Smiths over the years.

Mebbie different ammo could be the ticket. Never shot training ammo but I know some semi's tend to hiccup with softer loads. As said a good cleaning plus a lil break-in hopefully could also help solve. Best of luck!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Both of the guns got cleand and oiled before they were fired. That has been standard procedure for me with new guns for years. Really hoping it has something to do with the ammo. Either way the gun has a lifetime guarantee that transfers with the gun so I’m sure I can get it taken care of.

Last edited by Cscott1; 11-06-2018 at 08:47 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 11:19 AM
The Man

Your statement "When it sticks the bullet gets dented on the tip by the feed ramp" makes me think its the ammo,. I shoot a lot of 9mm and never noticed a FMJ round dent from hitting the ramp.

There are some who will disagree but I find some guns need to break in. I usually run at least 500 rounds through an auto to ID any issues and it also gives me confidence in the gun.

What I would do:

Get some decent 124 FMJ and try that. I have read that some of the newest compact 9s are not reliable with light weight, 115 gr., 9mm rounds. Small guns use stronger recoil springs and they are set up to use full power or duty ammo as opposed to practice or range ammo. I have not experienced that problem but it could be an issue with your gun.

Usually if an auto does not function properly it is an issue with the magazine. If you have the same problem with the 124 FMJ then call the company and ask for new mags.

I like IWB holsters for small autos. I just purchased a Vedder for a small auto I have. It is Kydek. I am impressed with it. It was not cheap but it is worth the money. There are similar holsters out there that may be cheaper. They do make OWB for most guns.

I also have Galco, Bianchi and Safariland leather holsters and would recommend them. I would not recommend something like a foam Uncle Mike's holster for everyday carry.

Last edited by Dogface; 11-06-2018 at 11:21 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 12:20 PM

Dogface beat me to it. Browning ammo is absolute junk. Had nothing but problems with 22 and 9 or 45(can't recall which). Jam after jam after jam. Nothing wrong with the guns, the 22s(yes tried it in multiple guns) cycled CCI and Federal fine. The centerfire was fine with reloads and cheap Federal WalMart ammo. We could actually remove the bullet from a 22. I've never been able to do that.

Go get a box of good ammo and give that a try.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

This was my first experience with browning pistol ammo. I’ve shot some of their shotgun shells for trap but usually if a shotgunshell goes off that is about all you can ask shooting a break open gun. I’ll take pics the next time it happens. I thought it was odd for a fmj to dent.

As far as holsters it will be leather or kydex I’m pretty sure. I’m slowly finding more out there. I found out sccy has a few companies they recommend. I picked this gun because it is small enough to pocket carry when the need arises but big enough to hold onto and handle. The price is defiantly nice.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 05:12 PM

just an FYI....Browning ammo is made by Winchester

NRA life member
DU member
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 10:07 AM

you might want to check the ramp guide for a burr. could be a small burr that is catching on the bullet when coming up to the chamber. take the gun apart to prevent the slide from closing while your finger is the way. you might have to polish the ramp if it has a burr.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

After watching several you tube videos on the subject, it seems that it is a common issue with these. I emailed sccy and they are sending out new magazines. They said they were sending a return package for the old ones and wanted me to let them know if the problem was not resolved. One video they sent the guy a whole new slide and barrel assembly and the feed ramp looked to be reworked. We shall see what happens when I get the new mags
bohunr and Dogface like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page