Info on 338 win mag - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Info on 338 win mag

OK guys here another gun info I need, ruger 77 338 win mag. Pro cons etc. I know it's a big caliber,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 01:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
I had one in a Ruger 77 "All Weather" that I bought years ago. Pros- accurate- never fail me,recoil not that bad,stainless is still bright Price was so great at that time I bought another "All Weather" in a 7mm mag. Just as good. cons on both guns! NONE, If a man could only own 1 hunting cal. 338 would be my chose. I shot yokes,deer,and elk, Let my bud use it on a brown bear hunt! 2 shots = dead bear. My Kids have them now. Was never a big fan Non- wood stocks.

Last edited by 59Willys; 11-02-2018 at 02:06 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 01:58 PM

I have an all weather Ruger 77 Hawkeye that I bought a couple of years ago. Also owned a Ruger 77 tang safety wood stock 338. Great guns. Recoil isn't bad. Can say nothing bad about the gun or the caliber. If you buy a new Hawkeye the only thing I would do is go to this website and order a lighter trigger spring for it. erniethegunsmith.com

Democracy: 2 wolves and a lamb voting on lunch.
Liberty: Well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Last edited by crazyjjk; 11-02-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 02:15 PM
The Man

I just sold my Ruger Hawkeye All Weather in .338. I have owned several .338s over the years. I really like the .338WinMag round. To me, it has significantly more killing authority than any .300 magnum. That extra frontal area hits very hard. I shot deer, black bears, caribou, moose and grizzly with mine and IMHO it puts game down hard, especially when you get into the heavier bullet weights. I don't think it is especially punishing to shoot either unless you are shooting near max loads in the 250 grain bullet range. Shoots as flat as most people are going to need also and it offers lighter bullets that you can load to hunt deer sized game as well.
If you're going to be regularly hunting larger game, I don't think you can go wrong with that rifle unless you are a recoil shy type.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 02:36 PM

They're heavy as most rugers are, but in a 338 a little weight is good. I'm a fan of many things 30 cal and above so hard to go wrong with this one (rifle and caliber). Although if it was for PA hunting alone I might advise 35 whelen instead, just preference.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks guys, a friend of the family looking to downsize some guns, this is the only one that I can use for deer,moose hunts.
Ty again
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfedor View Post
Thanks guys, a friend of the family looking to downsize some guns, this is the only one that I can use for deer,moose hunts.
Ty again
I would rather a nice 7600 carbine ,but the 338 is such a great price, I would be a fool not to buy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 04:23 PM

Ok then...........you know what to do!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 04:33 PM

I have a savage bear hunter in 338 mag cane with factory installed muzzle break. Has less recoil then a twenty great gun have only shot rem core locks so far and They shot fine. In the future will look into federal Barnes loads. I would def check out the savage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page