45 70 cal - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

45 70 cal

How good of all around gun would this be for deer on the northeast compared to the 30 06? I like hunting potter Co area to roam the mountains and will get back to Maine tracking in the snow. Any input is apreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 09:16 PM

It'll kill deer for sure. Some might consider it over-kill. Excellent "brush" gun though. Certainly not great in the long range department. Recoil and cost of ammo could be a problem. Should be great for Maine.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 09:26 PM

Another gun with ballistics that are close is the 450 Bushmaster. Check out the Ruger American Ranch in that caliber. It is lightweight, short, and it comes with a factory muzzlebreak that makes recoil very light.

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/16950.html

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 09:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

I like the marlin lever guns never used one in 45-70 but have killed deer with them in 30-30,45 long colt ,and 444.The 45-70 should work well.I reload the 45 long colt with modern lever rifle data it works great.

ole yeller
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 09:54 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
Recoil and cost of ammo could be a problem.
Remington "Green Box" can be had at Walmart. More $$ than some. But not horrible.

LOTS to be said for a 405 grain bullet...……….even at Trapdoor velocities of 1500-1700 fps. Recoil with trapdoor spec ammo is not hateful in the least. I'd not feel under-gunned with a .45-70 and Trapdoor spec ammo for woods whitetail or black bear. Not at ALL.
blackpowder likes this.

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 10:09 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My Marlin 1895 45-70 is one of favorite deer/bear rifles. Fun to carry, shoots sub MOA, and knocks critters down. I shoot Leverevolution 325 grain and with this ammo it's a 200 yd gun.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 10:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
Another gun with ballistics that are close is the 450 Bushmaster. Check out the Ruger American Ranch in that caliber. It is lightweight, short, and it comes with a factory muzzlebreak that makes recoil very light.

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/16950.html
What? What? oh, yeah, it is kinda loud with that break!
bigguy54 likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
What? What? oh, yeah, it is kinda loud with that break!

Brother you ain't kidding! I bought one as a retirement gift for myself this summer. When I sighted it in, I was wearing good rubber ear plugs but shooting under roofed benches. My ears rang continuously for a week then on and off if I got around loud noise for three more weeks. Dang thing really shoots though.

To the OP, if what you're looking for is a small, light rifle with a big bore because you plan on covering some ground, the Ruger American Ranch rifle is great. 5.5 pounds empty and its 34" long over all. The .450 bushmaster is similar to a .45/70. If you're set on a 45/70, I had a Marlin guide Gun in .45/70. Its also compact and lighter than most rifles. I shot one deer with it. I took it through the rib cage, a couple inches behind the shoulder.. There was a crater in the ground where the bullet came out and there was blood five feet up the side of trees the whole length of the 30 yards it ran. I've never seen a blood trail like that before. I can only imagine what it would have looked like if there was snow on the ground. Thumb size hole in and a thumb size hole out, both lungs were complete jelly.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 02:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah, I had a ported .450 Marlin guide gun at one time. Sold it to buddy a few years ago. I forgot to put ear protection in one time when shooting and it was not pleasant. It was also a good shooter.

Last edited by simoncool; 10-31-2018 at 06:14 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 05:13 PM
The Man

It is labeled as a "T-Rex" killer/gun.I have one.It will kill anything in north america and some in africa.Don't really need anything that big BUT they are fun.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page