Shooting with eyeglasses - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Shooting with eyeglasses

Thanks to the aging process, this year looks like I'll be hunting with prescription eyeglasses for the first time for gradually worsening astigmatism, or in other words trouble seeing distances. I've had glasses for years but used to get away with not wearing them much. When I've shot bow & rifle before while wearing prescription glasses, I always had the problem of the top rim of the frame falling right in my sight picture, so the rim winds up either blocking my sight or I end up looking over the lens, thus defeating the corrected vision. In the past I would just shoot without the glasses, but now I'm afraid if I opt to shoot without them, the trade-off will be trouble focusing on the target at greater distances. Don't tend to have this problem with much larger safety glasses, but short of buying a pair of glasses with a much larger (and much less stylish) frame, anyone have any solution or tips to shooting while wearing normal eyeglasses?

Last edited by Flint Lock; 09-25-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Contact lenses - you can get set up with a years worth of disposable lense for about $200.00. No fogging, glasses falling off ect... I know I prefer them over glasses for hunting.

Just be sure you pack your glasses should you lose a lens while hunting. Unlikely, but could happen.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 07:49 AM

Very very difficult to solve this problem...I've tried everything from contacts, bifocal contacts, glasses just with bifocals etc..everything possible...there is NO 100% ANSWER... What I've found is No Glasses and using a scope with a quick focus rear focus..seems best for me..this is a very annoying issue for those that have it...just getting ready to go and get a scope put on my new w/w long beard ..just can't focus all three things with the great sights that come on it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 06:52 PM

Your glasses are too low on your nose. I've shot with glasses all my life and never had that problem with scopes or irons.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 07:15 PM
Sage

Just shoot without the glasses, that is what I did. I just took them off when I shot. Your scope essentially is the same as glasses. I have recently had cataract surgery and lens implants so I not longer need glasses except for close up reading.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 07:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Depends how poor your uncorrected eyesight is. If I look through a scope with no correction it's too blurry to shoot without refocusing the scope. And iron sights, well I wouldn't be able to see the target!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 07:36 PM
Sage

You just adjust the scope for not wearing glasses and sight it in that way.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 07:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I guess, but contacts just seem easier to me. If an animal catches you by surprise, you may not be able to sneak your glasses off or have enough time to get them off.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 09:32 PM

People been shooting with glasses ever since I can remember. This ain't something mysterious. Having to remove your glasses to shoot is ridiculous.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 09:56 PM
Sage

Not a thing ridiculous about it! I don't like to do it so I didn't. I don't ave to worry about it any more. You shoot your way, I will shoot my way. My way has never left me down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page