7mm Accubond bullets - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
The Man

7mm Accubond bullets

I am looking for some feedback on the 168 and 175 Long Range Accubond bullets in 7mm. Specifically looking for performance feedback on larger game like caribou or elk, possibly bears. If anyone has used them and cares to share their experience with them, I would like to hear about it. Also maybe like what cartridge you were shooting them out of also. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 12:14 PM

I never killed anything with them, but we were hitting some steel with some 308 Accubonds. When we went to get the steel, there was blown chunks of the bullets all over. They call it accubond for a reason, the pieces of the bullet jackets had lead stuck to them and they looked like bullet slivers. They are tough!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 08:48 PM
The Man

Only 7mm AccuBangs I have personal experience with are the original 140 grainers.

VERY accurate outta my Model 70 Classic. BUT....there seems to be a velocity above which they act as a solid. Shot a whitetail doe with one and it never expanded. May be a small sample size. But it was enough for me to relegate the remainder of that box of bullets to paper punching. Haven't risked trying one again. Too many bullets out there that WILL work, no matter what.

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 09:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you read some big game hunting forums you will see a lot of large game animals including elk and moose being taken with accubonds...Very few failure stories...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 09:32 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk313 View Post
If you read some big game hunting forums you will see a lot of large game animals including elk and moose being taken with accubonds...Very few failure stories...
This is true.

I may just be a bad example. But I, personally, had the failure-to-expand and my wife's uncle had a 225 grain .338" AccuBond go ker-splat on a bull elk. Two failures out of two instances....one on either end of the failed performance spectrum

Just my personal decision from my observations that I'm using something else.

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 09:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The kersplat may have been the accubond hitting a large bone... Maybe your failure was at close range the further a bullet travels it has greater chance to expand... MAYBE you should switch to partitions...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 11:02 PM
The Man

I would have to ask the particulars, again, on the .338" ker-splat. Not sure what all was involved.

The doe I shot was right at 275-280 yards. No reasonable explanation for a 7mm hole in ......and a 7mm hole out...... It was an obvious good hit. Right behind the shoulder on a slight quarter toward me. No blood trail at all. Just had enough manpower to comb a goldenrod hillside and find her laying dead.

demokraten saugen

Last edited by Strut10; 09-15-2018 at 11:06 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 03:50 AM

Started using AB,s a few years ago in my 7mm-08. Shoulder Shot two bucks with them, and both went about 40 yards and down.

benchrest
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 07:50 AM
The Man

Which is the story I hear about them the vast majority of the time.......

My inkling is that once the AB goes over a certain velocity, it's performance becomes erratic and questionable.

The .338 incident was with a .338 RUM. The 7mm incident was with a 7-STW.......both generating some insane velocities. Both experienced failures. Just my theory.

Seems.if you keep the AB in 7mm-08's.........30-06's.........etc there's absolutely NO problems.

demokraten saugen
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:48 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

My dad shot a doe with the Accubond out of his 7mm Rem Mag at about 30 yards. It did not exit. That was strange. No blood trail either. The doe ran about 100 yards. There was a foot of snow on the ground and we were able to follow its tracks. Still can't explain it. He shot a nice buck a couple years ago with the same gun and bullets. It was facing him and the bullet traveled all the way through, long-ways. That made a nasty gut job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page