Boyds gun stocks - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Boyds gun stocks

anybody have one ?

what was / is your experience with them ? thumb hole or regular ?

good, bad, indifferent ? did the gun just drop in the stock or was work needed to make it fit ?

My neighbor wants one. he is going to order the thumb hole model for his 30-06

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 08:47 AM
New Arrival

My son broke the composite factory stock on his Marlin X7 so we replaced with a Boyds (not thumbhole). It was a substantial weight increase as you might expect. This was the first laminate stock I have experience but it is noticeably heavier in the hand than a traditional walnut stock IMO. I did end up glass bedding about an inch or so past the barrel lug for a more secure fit. They are well made, Boyds put out a video of the them driving it thru plywood throwing it like a tomahawk.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 08:53 AM
The Man

I considered one for my Savage 220. A lot of Jersey guys use them on the 220 and like them.

I was going to buy a thumbhole but there have been times I had to switch shoulders because the critter was coming from the wrong direction. I put off the purchase until I try shooting a righthand thumbhole from the left side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 08:59 AM

My brother has had a few. Both thumb holes and sporter. I’ve shot them and the have a good feel and weight. I think he said they all basically dropped in with some minor work in the mag well corners on one.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 11:42 AM

I've got two... one on a Remington 700 in .223, and another one that came from the factory on a Savage 93 in .17HMR. I've never worried much about weight, especially on those guns since they're both bull barrel. The 700 was a drop-in fit, and have had no issues and I haven't had it off since I installed it. Both guns shoot sub-MOA with factory ammo and cheap scopes, so the stock hasn't had any noticeable negative effects on accuracy. I love the look and feel of a thumb hole stock, although as eluded to above it won't allow you to shoot comfortably from the opposite shoulder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150227_201836_1536680509368.jpg (967.1 KB, 13 views)
bohunr likes this.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 04:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
I considered one for my Savage 220. A lot of Jersey guys use them on the 220 and like them.

I was going to buy a thumbhole but there have been times I had to switch shoulders because the critter was coming from the wrong direction. I put off the purchase until I try shooting a righthand thumbhole from the left side.
Don’t bother as they are very much side dependent and do not lend well to support side shooting. That being said they are very comfortable when shooting normally, my dad and now my uncle both put them on their 7600s and love them. To swap the stocks it was a simple bolt and go affair, we changed my dad’s in roughly 5 minutes.

Also they will effect your rate of fire as it takes longer to get your thumb in and out of the hole compared to resting it on top. Not a huge concern but something to keep note of.
bohunr likes this.

Last edited by CMP70306; 09-11-2018 at 04:47 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 04:42 PM

I have a boyds (non thumbhole) on a savage bag. Required just a little bit of sanding to get the action to drop in. Also, the bolt release button was covered up by the new stock. Had to sand quite a bit in that area.

Other than that, they are a good looking stock that has a nice finish to it. I wouldn't recommend it for a rim fire such as the bmag though. The heavy stock really messes with the balance of a super light rifle.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 01:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Boyd's Stock on a Savage 220...

I just got a Savage 220 last year and I am considering the Boyd's Stock as well for it. I was seriously looking at the ATOne stock. I went to the Outdoor Show in Harrisburg and held the stocks and wasn't real impressed with the ATOne. I did like the Thumbhole stock though. Which stock does most of your buddies have on their Savage 220?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post

"When seconds count…the police are only minutes away”.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 01:35 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonHunter View Post
I just got a Savage 220 last year and I am considering the Boyd's Stock as well for it. I was seriously looking at the ATOne stock. I went to the Outdoor Show in Harrisburg and held the stocks and wasn't real impressed with the ATOne. I did like the Thumbhole stock though. Which stock does most of your buddies have on their Savage 220?

The guys I talked to have the Featherweight Thumbhole.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 08:25 AM

My savage 220;shoots so good I afraid to mess with it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page