8.6/.338 Creedmoor - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

8.6/.338 Creedmoor

Looks like Hornady is in full on development mode with the widespread success of the 6.5 Creedmoor. Hot on the heels of the 6mm Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC and in addition to the .300 PRC that they are releasing this fall, Hornady is planning on releasing the 8.6 Creedmoor cartridge sometime next year.

Since I just came across an article rather than a thread on a forum about it I figured I’d post this here and get your opinions on it. Do you think it is a valid cartridge design or just a gimmick with no real purpose?

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/8...8-6-creedmoor/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:25 AM

Q Suppressors is on a real push for this too.... I am not falling for this one, but the video with suppressed loads is impressive.. that big chuck of bullet hits the steel hard at Sub velocities (YOUTUBE)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:43 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

No news here. Just as the 300 Blackout was a copy of SSK Indusries (JD Jones) 300 Whisper. The 8.6 Creedmoor will be a copy of the 338 Whisper. Looks like a gimmick to get John Q Public to purchase another copy of an existing caliber. Just like the creation of the WSM's, WSSM'S etc.
Pahack likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 03:18 PM
dce
Sage

I had a .338 federal built on a rem model 7 action last year.It's surprising that it's never really caught on.It's a nice light gun that packs a big punch on moderate shots.Recoil is relatively mild and .308 brass is easy to neck up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 338 fed.jpg (853.2 KB, 11 views)
bigguy54, Dogface and cz550 like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:16 PM
The Man

I'm still trying to figure out what the 6.5 Creedmoor does that the .260 Remington doesn't..... ??
Dogface likes this.

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut10 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what the 6.5 Creedmoor does that the .260 Remington doesn't..... ??
Something about being able to load longer bullets closer to the lands with the 6.5
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 09:57 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
Something about being able to load longer bullets closer to the lands with the 6.5
So yet another super-hyped round that answers a question nearly NOBODY ever asked.....

demokraten saugen
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:14 PM
The Man

Oh, well...

Rifles sold make the economy go 'round. They sold a whole lot of Fidget Spinners for a while, too....

demokraten saugen
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
So yet another super-hyped round that answers a question nearly NOBODY ever asked...………..
The .260 Remington was simply a necked down .308 with zero additional thought put into it. Remington spec’d it with a 9 twist for shooting 130gr soft points for hunting and then pretty much left the cartridge to die by the mid 2000’s. The .260 is seeing a resurgence in popularity lately due to the attention brought to the 6.5 caliber by Creedmoor.

Inversely Hornady designed the 6.5 Creedmoor as a target cartridge centered around shooting the heavier high BC 140gr bullets. They spec’d the cartridge with an 8 twist and a sharper shoulder with a shorter brass OAL to allow it to function better in mag fed rifles with the heavy bullets.

In the first decade the .260 Rem faded into relative obscurity while in its first decade the 6.5 Creedmoor has firmly booted the .308 from the spot of the go to long range caliber. I feel this is primarily because Remington couldn’t be bothered to promote their own cartridge while Hornady jumped right into the emerging long range market and ended up taking it by storm.

At this point just about every firearm maker chambers multiple rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor, a quick search of Buds Guns shows 58 hits for the .260 Rem and 328 for the 6.5 Creedmoor. Same with Grice’s, 18 options in .260 and 107 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Basically at this point the .260 Rem is the Hipster alternative to the mainstream 6.5 Creedmoor.

As someone who owns two custom rifles built on actions that pretty much no one but hardcore long range shooters have even heard of I’ll stick with my 6.5 Creedmoor.
schappellt likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 07:58 AM
Frequent Contributor

it seems like every week there is a "new round" announced. there will be people that buy it solely cause it says creedmoor or people who buy to add to their collections. im not one to buy new wildcat rounds until i can see what it offers me over what i already have. atleast most companies are not as bad as wilson combat. they just slightly modify a case and change the name to ham'r.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page