Nostalgia guns - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Nostalgia guns

Ever want to buy a gun cus you had one when you were a kid? Iv'e been kind of looking for a 20 ga stevens 311 double for a few years now, an older model from the 50's like i had when i was a kid. I learned to hunt with that gun, my dad only allowed doubles in our house, they were safer no chance of a hidden shell with a double. I lost track of that little gun and decided a few years ago that if i ever ran across one i'd buy it.

Well i saw one on gunbroker a few days ago and it was at a local shop. Went to see it and it was exactly what i'd been looking for. I bid on it and ended up with the high bid so i went to pick it up today. While we were doing the paperwork i saw another 311, same vintage only in 12 ga. Price was right so it came home too.

Just handling those shotguns feels like 1972 and i'm 14 again. I really can't explain how good it feels.
bohunr and blackpowder like this.

Pence/Putin 2024
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 09:31 PM
Regular Visitor

When I was a kid an older boy had a Stevens/Springfield Model 87A. It was a nice looking semiauto .22 long rifle that had cuts in the side of the receiver. In my young mind I thought those looked like the fins on the barrel of a Tommy gun. Wanted one ever since. About a year ago I went out and bought two. They are the most unreliable guns I have ever owned, but I love 'em.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 09:45 PM
The Man

Back in my pointing dog/pheasant days, my meat hammer was a Winchester 1400 XTR 12 gauge with a 22' VR barrel and Winchokes. It was a cataloged gun. But I had to, basically, special order it. Ended up having to give it to a woman who hated me during the Big D. I could NOT MISS with that gun. It was just like an extension of me. I've never seen another like it. Would LOVE to run across one...……………..

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 09:46 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't mind spending a few dollars to replace the Winchester, model 62a, pump action, .22 caliber, tubular magazine, Gallery Gun that I grew up with.

MAGA 2020
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 11:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yello, you can't brag like that and not show some pics!

I know that feeling, I've always wanted a Model 141 35 Rem. I'll get one someday, to me that was the gun. I saw a farmer dump a running buck at 150 yards with it. It was a lucky shot, but I can't get that out of my head. Silly I know, but those young impressions are hard to get rid of.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 11:57 PM

Just last weekend I was at a gun show and spotted a Remington Rolling Block single shot in 7X57MM for $350. I have been meaning to buy one for a long time and had never seen one for that cheap and it wasnt in bad condition. I walked around the show for about 10 minutes thinking about it and when I went back to the table it was long gone.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 06:28 AM
Part of the Community

I started hunting and was a teenager in the early 2000's but I have always been drawn to older guns that I view as classics. I'm always hoping to find older unique guns. Two of my current favorites are a Savage Model 24 in 22 magnum over 20 gauge and an H & R single shot in 16 gauge. I believe both were made in the late '60's and the quality of craftsmanship in those older guns is something you just don't see anymore.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 08:19 AM

I have a weakness for the Browning humpbacks, mainly because Dad's friends that we hunted with carried them, and still do. I'm actually working on refinishing a Magnum Twelve, so I can hunt geese with it, "just like Mr. Richie".

The next gun on my list is a 50's era Ithaca Featherweight 37 in 16 gauge, with a full choke. That desire stemmed from an article read in a Game News a long, long time ago, and hasn't gone away with age.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 09:13 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

as a lefty I used a rem 141 in 35 Remington in the 50,s and it went when I thought I needed a super duper magnum, big mistake. fast forward I ran into this rem 141 in very good condition with a ex bore, and it was priced right as it had a non factory receiver sight added. it is very accurett with 200 gr round nose at 2000 fps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0128.jpg (1.17 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0129.jpg (978.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0130.jpg (1.12 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0131.jpg (962.0 KB, 5 views)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 10:55 AM

when I was about 14 I fell in love with the ruger #1, I bought one in 1976, worked most of the summer to get it, and I still have it !!

"one hand clapping" mork from ork

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page