Pistol for the ladies ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Pistol for the ladies ?

My wife won 400.credit towards a pistol of her choice at a gun bash on Saturday, We were wondering what your wives carry, and what might be a good compact pistol for a purse or to carry on your side? She is looking for possibly a 380 or lower cal., She has shot my 9mm and does not like the kick. Any suggestions from my friends here on HPA would be appreciated.....Thanks....

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 11:56 PM
New Arrival

My wife went to a basic hand gun training for women and they had them handle around 15 different guns...she really liked the Ruger Sr 22 so much that she had to have one of her own...she also likes the fact that when she feels comfortable enough with the 22, she can graduate to the 9 mm version...she also has a Ruger lcp in .380 but doesn't like the fact it has no safety..and she has hands a little too big for it, but it is very easy to conceal...
SlickShot likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 01:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My wife currently carries a S&W J-Frame 642, 5-shot revolver in .38 Special.

However, she has been shooting my Glock 26 9mm all summer and during our latest trip to the range....her comment was, "I see a Glock in my future"! So, she'll probably end up carrying that when she gets it.
SlickShot likes this.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 05:08 AM

As a firearms instructor, when I teach women to shoot, I start them off at a 22, then move them up 380, 9mm, ETC. Make sure any gun she chooses fits her in hand, and is comfortable. My wife shoots a Springfield XD 40, but she works in law enforcement also, so she can handle the bigger calibers through her training. I actually know women who carry 45 ACP and shoot them as good as I can. I would base your decision on the fit, her recoil tolerance, and abilities when you choose her smoker. With use of force, and your EDC, your responsible for where that bullet goes after it leaves the barrel, so stay within the abilities of the shooter.
bohunr, pappybear and SlickShot like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:36 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My wife ans Sisters like the Berreta and Tarus 22lr semi automatic as you do not have to rack the slide to load the first shot.

Good luck, Stant
SlickShot likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:36 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Look at the Walther PK380 great for women accurate. Took my sister in law out with my wifes and she never shot anything before she loved it and shot it quite accurately.
SlickShot likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:51 PM
Regular Visitor

I would check out the Smith & Wesson 380 Shield EZ.
SlickShot likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 02:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahack View Post
As a firearms instructor, when I teach women to shoot, I start them off at a 22, then move them up 380, 9mm, ETC. Make sure any gun she chooses fits her in hand, and is comfortable. My wife shoots a Springfield XD 40, but she works in law enforcement also, so she can handle the bigger calibers through her training. I actually know women who carry 45 ACP and shoot them as good as I can. I would base your decision on the fit, her recoil tolerance, and abilities when you choose her smoker. With use of force, and your EDC, your responsible for where that bullet goes after it leaves the barrel, so stay within the abilities of the shooter.
We’ll stated! A firearm that fits her hand, recoil tolerance and ability to shoot it accurately is key.
Pahack and SlickShot like this.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 05:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

If you could I would try to have her shoot the potential pistols first. I've done exactly what HACK mentioned of starting with a 22 and working up. An like other things not all people/women are the same. Some prefer the size of and handling of a 380 lcp/bodyguard/232 other's dont like it at all.

As odd as it may sound I've had several that have liked the 45 of various models. My lady bought a Shield in 9mm thinking she would like/shoot it better which after the addition of a hogue sleeve she does decent with. However, she likes her shield 45 best and does well with it.

Good Luck and hope she leaves some ammo for you.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 05:36 PM
The Man

My wife carries a Charter Arms Pink Lady Off Duty 38.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page