Help with first gun purchase. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Help with first gun purchase.

Looking to purchase my first gun. Does anyone know of affordable rifles good for deer hunting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 01:42 AM
cm9
Hooked on HuntingPa

What is your price range?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

In the 300 dollar range
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 03:10 AM
cm9
Hooked on HuntingPa

Definitely some options. I would check out the Ruger American, Thompson Center Compass and the Savage Axis. I have recently bought both a Ruger American and Thompson Center Compass and both shoot extremely well.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 04:40 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I was looking to get a 270 a couple years ago, I went to Bass Pro and was looking at a Remmington. The guy behind the counter talked me into a Savage Axis. He said out of the box it is one of the best shooting guns they get in for the price. I took his advice and got it. It had a camo synthetic stock, a 3 to 9 scope, cant remember the make of it, an accu trigger. Took it home and only had to take a few shots and it was dialed in to where I wanted it. It was bore sighted at 200 yards, I sighted in for 100. Took a real nice 8 pt with it last year....
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 05:27 AM

Many rifles can be bought for $300.Have you fired many different calibers yet?I ask because you don't want recoil to be an issue with accuracy.You live in 2B/Pittsburgh correct?If so just know you can't use a centerfire rifle for deer in 2B.I would pick a caliber before doing a search for a rifle.A shotgun or inline muzzleloader might be an option also.Used rifles can be found but be ready to make offers on guns because a $300 used rifle can have a $500 asking price.Check the manufacturers websites for rebates before you buy,it may save you a few bucks.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 05:46 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by brired151 View Post
In the 300 dollar range

....now is that for the firearm alone...or a combo deal ?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 05:52 AM

The is a Marlin 243 bolt action with scope in Connellsville for $250 on Pennswoods classifieds right now.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniata4ever View Post
I was looking to get a 270 a couple years ago, I went to Bass Pro and was looking at a Remmington. The guy behind the counter talked me into a Savage Axis. He said out of the box it is one of the best shooting guns they get in for the price. I took his advice and got it. It had a camo synthetic stock, a 3 to 9 scope, cant remember the make of it, an accu trigger. Took it home and only had to take a few shots and it was dialed in to where I wanted it. It was bore sighted at 200 yards, I sighted in for 100. Took a real nice 8 pt with it last year....

this ^
at the one shop I visit I have heard numerous people talk about the Savage Axis & how well it shoots right out of the box.

NRA life member
DU member
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 08:06 AM

my daughter in law has a savage axis in 7mm-08, great gun, very accurate and powerful enough for deer and bear.

for $300.00 my top 3 choices would be the Savage Axis, Mossberg, or Ruger American. i know people that own these and they are all great guns. they will all kill a deer just as dead as any more expensive rifle on the market.

if you go for a shotgun, just remember with rifled slugs that gun will recoil harder than a rifle will. get a limbsaver recoil pad and the limbsaver shooting pad (goes over the shoulder). you can shoot that slug gun all day with no problems.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page