Do you think all the ammo we have will become obsolete? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Question Do you think all the ammo we have will become obsolete?

I was thinking about how California you have to use special ammo out there.. No lead.. Do you think we will end up someday.. GOVERNMENT …..saying you can no longer use lead bullets in our states? What would we do with all that clearance stuff you buy and you could no longer use it? Again best to not vote those people in that like UNLEADED... Vote!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Maybe if you reload you should just start using Calif type reloading bullets?????
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:43 PM
Sage

Paint the projectiles with copper paint!

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Having been to Cali numerous times in the Coast Guard... I just don't like Cali....
CROW MASTER likes this.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A lot of the Federal environmental laws start out as state laws in Cali. Lets hope a lead hunting bullet ban is one that never goes national. I don't think PA would ever pass such a ban, but it's hard to say what the federal simpletons may do.

California has recently banned drinking straws in restaurants and now wants to ban sale of all beverages other than water and unflavored (no chocolate milk) milk to minors in restaurants.

I can't wait until the San Andres finally snaps and CA slides into the Pacific!
bohunr and GSP66 like this.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 03:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

It's coming, no way around it that I see. We can't stand as hunters telling people we are the ultimate/original conservationists while watching reports coming out about animals dying from lead poisoning without a response. There are alternatives to lead, and there will be more and better alternatives over time.

This isn't a fight that is going to gain hunters much traction with the general public that doesn't understand, nor care, that lead is best right now. It's tough to tell a person that they need to pay x amount of dollars because their house was painted with lead paint and cannot be sold until that is taken care of but we as hunters want to throw it around in the woods.
kudu58 likes this.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 03:48 PM
Sage

I am not convinced lead bullets are the problem they are said to be. Yes some raptors have died from eating on a carcass and swallowing a projectile but it is in epidemic proportions. Certainly more wildlife dies from being struck by vehicles, from the blades of the windmills now used for producing electricity, there is even a solar electricity producing plant that focuses sunlight via mirrors to heat water and make steam that are actually catching birds on fire as they fly though the light beam, and many birds die from flying into the windows of our homes. Many man made things kill wildlife and more if it, than spent lead bullets do. I certainly understand and support the non tox shot for waterfowl because the water fowl was eating the shot intentionally as grit for their gizzards, causing lead poisoning in areas of heavy concentration of waterfowl hunting for years and years. Lead bullets are an entirely different animal. There is a huge difference between lead paint in homes where children chew on it and an animal finding a needle in a haystack in the wild in the form of a lead bullet. That said, everyone had lead paint in their homes when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s, I never knew one person who ate paint and I never knew one person who developed lead poisoning from eating lead from then to now. The lead bullet fray is an example of overkill to make it nation wide.
bohunr, crazyjjk, bigguy54 and 3 others like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 03:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonfoust View Post
It's coming, no way around it that I see. We can't stand as hunters telling people we are the ultimate/original conservationists while watching reports coming out about animals dying from lead poisoning without a response. There are alternatives to lead, and there will be more and better alternatives over time.

This isn't a fight that is going to gain hunters much traction with the general public that doesn't understand, nor care, that lead is best right now. It's tough to tell a person that they need to pay x amount of dollars because their house was painted with lead paint and cannot be sold until that is taken care of but we as hunters want to throw it around in the woods.
Lead paint thing is a joke. Just another layer of government red tape to add cost. The regs. are not applied uniformly from place to place. Many rural areas have no compliance whatsoever, while in some urban areas they are enforced to the point of being prohibitive. If people were capable of supervising their own kids, so they wouldn't eat paint chips, the lead regs would not be necessary. But that would be asking too much.
bohunr likes this.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 05:27 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
...California has recently banned drinking straws in restaurants...

What, pray tell, is the rational behind that?
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 05:35 PM
Sage

The whole state is NUTS! Their excuse is that it takes very long to break down in the landfills and the environment.
bohunr and limbhnger10 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page