I am not convinced lead bullets are the problem they are said to be. Yes some raptors have died from eating on a carcass and swallowing a projectile but it is in epidemic proportions. Certainly more wildlife dies from being struck by vehicles, from the blades of the windmills now used for producing electricity, there is even a solar electricity producing plant that focuses sunlight via mirrors to heat water and make steam that are actually catching birds on fire as they fly though the light beam, and many birds die from flying into the windows of our homes. Many man made things kill wildlife and more if it, than spent lead bullets do. I certainly understand and support the non tox shot for waterfowl because the water fowl was eating the shot intentionally as grit for their gizzards, causing lead poisoning in areas of heavy concentration of waterfowl hunting for years and years. Lead bullets are an entirely different animal. There is a huge difference between lead paint in homes where children chew on it and an animal finding a needle in a haystack in the wild in the form of a lead bullet. That said, everyone had lead paint in their homes when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s, I never knew one person who ate paint and I never knew one person who developed lead poisoning from eating lead from then to now. The lead bullet fray is an example of overkill to make it nation wide.
When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!