Do you really need a 2nd shot? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Question Do you really need a 2nd shot?

I have been thinking about buying a Marlin Big bore 4570 lever action.. When you look at the pricing things are quite expensive for a brand new one. Over the years I was thinking back of all the deer that I have killed... Never used a 2nd shot to harvest one..I do have a Encore 4570 barrel that really shoots accurate...As Spock would say. "Uncle Buck it's Not logical to spend near $900.00 for a lever action gun that shoots more than 1 4570 bullet if you already have the caliber in a single shot!"

I would think however if you were really into deer drives might be good to have a repeater... However you start throwing lead that make me just think SOME of the caliber of people I have known in the years that would be throwing that lead..

I do think that a nice 12 gauge pump shotgun with the plug removed would be a good repeater for a deer drive.. But But But But I got a single shot Encore Barrel in 12 gauge slug configuration too.

Does our mind really want the gun and we really are just throwing money up into the air?
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had a .450 Marlin 1895. Nice gun to carry, and shot well. Perhaps you could justify your purchase if you considered a caliber other than .45/70? I bought mine used (like new),around 2000, just before the prices seemed to take a big jump. I paid $350 for it. If you don't reload ,ammo is a little pricey, but it's not the type of gun you tend run a lot of ammo through at the range. I occasionally see nice used big bore Marlins around. The only reason I got rid of mine is I had a friend that kept buggin' me to buy it.

If I only had to make due with the only guns I needed, I would have saved a lot of money over the years. But what fun is that? Don't spend the mortgage payment or the kids college fund on a gun, but hey, a guy needs some distractions! If you think you are going to die with more than $900.00 in the bank, buy it!

And yes, I've needed a second shot more than once.
uncle buck and bohunr like this.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:54 PM
Sage

Logic has nothing to do with it. It is a matter of a person wanting something different. Lots of people have gun safes with enough guns that if they use one every day of deer season they would not use them all. I didn't need a 45-70 guide gun, my .308 layed every deer I ever shot, and that is a lot, down with one shot. I bought mine because I wanted it and I did not have to justify it to anyone, it was my money. I am glad I bought it and have taken a lot of game with it. I will probably use it to hunt elk in November, I have been offered the use of a 300 Win Mag by two different friends but I would like to kill an elk with my rifle. I have taken 8 wild boar and 6 deer with mine and I have not removed my .308 from the safe since I bought the 45-70. If you want one buy one, if you think you have too many, sell one of the other rifles. This is not a dress rehearsal for life that you are in, it is the only life you will have. As a good friend of mine is in the habit of saying," life is short, eat desert first".

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:03 PM

Except for 2nd season deer drives, I exclusively carry my Encore 50 cal.
Not only is it a single shot, it's a muzzleloader which takes more time to reload than just a single shot cartridge.
Practice like you play is what I tell my players and it is the same for me hunting.
bohunr and Pahack like this.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That .308 will do a good job on an elk. My Dad had a .32 Winchester Special. He never took any game with it. I was allow to take it out and took a buck and a bear with that rifle. Using your .308 to bagging a PA elk is really special. Also every time you pick that gun up you'll remember that hunt. Save the shell casing and don't forget to get the ivories. They make nice rings.
bohunr likes this.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 02:07 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I can think of exactly one time having that second shot was handy and made a difference in getting a deer. Buddy & I were hunting & he made a shot on a doe, but wasn't sure how well he hit it. He waited till I got there from another section of the property and we took up the trail about a half hour later. As we trailed her we realized she was gut shot and heading straight back toward where we left the vehicle. Despite going very slow and glassing - we still ended up jumping her when she got to the edge of the woods before a field started. He was looking down and didn't see her - She was pretty far away and running pretty good, but without being too graphic the wound was obviously fatal, but it was also obvious that I at least needed to TRY and dispatch her as quickly as possible.

Well, the first shot missed behind her & I kept her in my scope as I worked the bolt and this time made sure I swung all the way through and didn't pull the trigger till i was a good bit in front of the lead shoulder and made a conscious effort to keep the rifle moving. She collapsed with the 2nd shot. I have no doubt we would have eventually gotten that deer that day even if I didn't have a second shot, but who knows how much longer it would've taken.

I've missed deer with my in-line, but in all cases - a second shot wouldn't have mattered. I don't feel all that handicapped at all when I take it out in the regular season here in Allegheny county.

All that said - levers are fun to carry too. If you like the gun - buy the gun. Who cares about having another one that will shoot the same cartridge. If anything - you're being prudent and economical if you already own the reloading dies lol. Less components to keep on hand ... etc
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 02:31 PM
Sage

Absolutely, it would be a crime to waste perfectly good reloading dies!
bohunr, bigguy54, Pahack and 1 others like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 02:32 PM
The Man

I've used a second shot many times as a finisher, but only ever killed a deer on the second shot that I completely missed the first one time.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 03:01 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Absolutely, it would be a crime to waste perfectly good reloading dies!
EXACTLY!! Years ago - I was trying to decide if I should purchase a gently used s&w 19-4 in 357 magnum. The fact that I happened to have a set of 38 spl dies sitting on a shelf at home that someone gave me (and at the time no 38 spl or 357's to put them to use on) may or may not have influenced my decision

I actually got a pretty good deal on it and learned a little local history of it in the process. I was told when I bought it that it came from a trade in from a retired borough police officer ... I have a friend who works for the borough and he asked the chief about them and he said it was the last wheel gun they carried in the late 70's early 80's before going to a semi auto.
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 05:58 PM
Banned

One time my son needed a second shot to finish a doe he had shot. Last year, I had to reload my flintlock to finish off a doe that I had shot. So in the sense of "do we need that second shot?", I say as a finishing shot, yes, to initially drop the deer, probably not. But, it does feel good knowing you have the ability to quickly dispatch that wounded animal. NOw in the case of my flintlock, I had no choice but to take the time to reload, and the deer had the displeasure of watching me the whole time before I finished it off. I feel kinda bad about that, but sometimes even with a well placed shot, the animal doesn't expire right away. And I wasn't about to let it suffer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page