Taurus revolvers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Taurus revolvers

In the market for a revolver to carry on a few bear drives a year. Anyone own or been around any Taurus model 44 or raging bulls. Seeing mixed reviews online some guy love some hate them. Would love a ruger super redhawk. But 900 bucks is tough to swallow for a few days a year. Plus looking for pro's and con's of single vs double action. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had a .454 Casull Raging Bull. Shot well and held up well. I thought it was a good gun for the money. I do favor Rugers or S&W over Taurus, but if your budget will not allow, I did not think the Taurus I had was a bad gun.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:15 PM
Sage

I was a firearms instructor for over 20 years for the PGC. I instructed and qualified WCO's and Deputy WCOs in handgun and police shotgun shooting. I tried to lead the deputies to either S&W, Colt or Ruger revolvers in 4 inch barrel.357 Mag which was the caliber and style required by the agency and deputies had to provide their own duty firearms. I can safely say that it was a rarity to hold a training session or qualification where some deputies had Taurus revolvers that at least one didn't seize up and not index and the deputy could not finish the training or qualification course until the gun cooled down and we had to do the qualification in increments. Most of those deputy promptly traded their Taurus revolvers for a different brand. Due to my experience with Taurus revolvers, I would never but or carry one.
jimsdad and gentleben like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Advice from one more experienced than myself. Take WW's advice, not mine.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Although I must say in defense of the Raging Bull , I shot a fair amount of heavy handloads out of that gun and never had indexing problems. This was a concern I had when I bought it, but it held up for the ten years I owned the gun. At the time the only other revolvers chambered for anything more powerful than the .44 mag. was the Freedom Arms .454, and I wasn't paying that much for a revolver.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:48 PM

I've never owned one, but I've heard the same mixed reviews. I'm a Ruger guy mostly, but SW is nice too. I have a Ruger in .454. I love it, but if you're not going to reload I would go with a .44mag.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes, if you don't reload, even the "cheap" .454 ammo will quickly put you in the poor house (or at least the dog house if your wife ever found how much you were spending on ammo).
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 11:32 PM

I own a taurus 627 357 mag, i got it to learn to shoot a wheel gun cause my 44 mag cost way to much to shoot and kicked a lot... so i would switch back an forth.. by buddy had the 454 raging bull.. they are nice but they need to be kept oiled all ways cause they get to tight at times.
Would i buy one to hunt with for deer yes, but for any thing that bites back not ever. look in to a super black hawk 44 by ruger they are a tank and can be found used for a good price. Single action vs double is all ways a toss up until you start shooting, you hardly ever shoot double action Ive found over the years unless a very fast follow up shot but i still find my self pulling the hammer back. I have carried a 460 Smith the last 5 years never once used it in double action.
dave
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 11:54 PM

i own a Taurus 44 with a 8 inch ported barrel, double action. bought it from a member here a few years ago. i put red dot sight on it and used it for Groundhogs. killed one at 60 yards. cant wait to use it on deer.

i think it would be ok for bear drives but an 8 inch barrel might be a bit much. for defense against a bear you want a double action and pay attention to what WW said in case you have to fire it rapidly. if it jams (mine hasnt) it wont do you much good. also look in the for sale section here, there have been some good 44's at decent prices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44 mag g-hog 9-16-17 60 yards.JPG (832.5 KB, 1 views)

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 05:50 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

About the fourth page of the classifieds:

Ruger Blackhawk 357
For sale is a Ruger Blackhawk 357 with a 6 inch barrel. This is a three screw that has not be altered, all original 1967. Price is $400 can meet in Stroudsburg area to transfer. I have a box of rounds I can throw in as well.

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page