The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Ruger Ranch mini-14

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  bohunr 
#1 ·
Wal Mart has them on clearance. They can mount a scope for hunting and target shooting.

Anybody have any opinions on a Mini-14 ranch rifle in .223?

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
I picked one up at Walmart on clearance a month or so ago. Great price! I had kept an eye on them for years and never found one cheaper. Even the used ones generally sell for what Walmart was asking. It was my wife's early birthday present. She always wanted a semi-223 but wasn't real keen on an AR because "everyone has one".

We only shot it once so far, but she really likes it. Nice handy little gun. We haven't put a scope on it, and I doubt we will, but it does come with ruger rings, a weaver/picatinny rail, as well as 2 5rd mags. We put 100 or so rounds through it with no major issue. The only problem was that the screw adjustment for the rear sight would loosen from recoil after 30-40 rounds. I'm sure a little locktite would fix that up. Takedown was very similar to an M1 Garand, which makes sense since that's essentially the parent rifle of the M14 and thus the mini-14. Grease her up good(videos available online) and you're good to go!

I'll be honest, the old Mini-14 probably isn't as accurate as many of the AR's on the market today for the same $$$ or less, but it's still a nice little rifle.

#3 ·
The mini-14s are pretty solid. Don't expect a tack driver. As far as accuracy, they are acceptable for hunting and general shooting, but you wouldn't win any shoots with one, even with handloads. If you check, the more recent models are .223/5.56, so ammo is pretty available and inexpensive. They aren't fancy but they definitely are well made and simple. I like mine.

#4 ·
On another note, the guy that sold me the rifle at Walmart told me that he suspected that they went on clearance because they're too "assault rifle" like and Walmart is probably going to stop carrying them. He said they quit selling AR's years ago, and recently raised their age of purchase to 21 even for long guns and black powder.

#5 ·
The Mini 14 was never really high up on my firearms wish list, but at that price I couldnt pass one up.

This was my first firearms purchase at walmart. Personally I never expect any type of actual customer service when shopping at walmart. But to my surprise the young lady who helped me was pleasant, knowledgeable, and made the transaction very smooth.

Good luck, Tony

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.