Scope on No. 5 Enfield. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Blue Bird

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Scope on No. 5 Enfield.

Had been playing with the idea of scoping my old jungle carbine for a while now. I use this gun as a backup to a backup deer gun on occasion, and its a great woods gun due to its length, light weight etc. I could hit targets pretty well with the open sights but just wanted a scope on it. I bought an Accumounts drop in Weaver/Picatinny type rail, and a Nikon 2-7X32 Prostaff scope I picked up at Cabelas last night. The short design of this scope is a perfect fit to the length of the rifle. I looked at some of the longer designs but I felt they'd be out of place on this short a rifle. Used a set of Leupold 1 inch rings as well. I've got about $260 invested in mount scope and rings. Got it all put together this afternoon, and bore sighted it out my back door once completed. Going to head to the range tomorrow to sight in and see how it shoots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:16 AM

Waiting to hear how it worked out for you !!!

WILLY P
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:26 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Was that a "no smithing" mount?

I hope so.....those No5's are worth a pretty penny if unaltered.

My brother ran a B-Square no-smithing mount a while ago (like 20 years ago) on a No4 and it was super reliable for him. He took a lot of deer with it. They were poorly received by some, and I read more than a few complaints that they didn't hold zero, but his never gave him any issue at all. He's a lefty and he liked the SMLE's action for ease of cycling as a lefty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Yep, took it to the range this past Saturday. Had it sighted in at 50 yards within 4 shots. Bored sighted at home, then one shot, hit high, so bore sighted it again to that first shot. Next shot slightly lower, next lower yet. Fourth shot right in the bullseye. I used a two inch orange dot just to make it easy to see. Took it out to 100 yards and it was hitting about 2 1/2 inches high, so dropped it down until it was about 1 to about 1 1/2 inches high and left it at that. I could cover the one group at 100 yards probably with a silver dollar. Not tack driving accuracy, but for me plenty accurate enough. I base my groups on how well I think they'll do on a deer sized target at a given range and I can certainly live with a 3 shot silver dollar sized group at 100 yards. For a 72 year old gun on a hot humid day, shooting reloads (Mine), and being shot by me I am well pleased with it.

Yea, this was a drop in "no Smithing" mount from Accumounts. I like the mount but it came with no instructions how to mount it. Its similar to the older ATI mount on my other Enfield, however this new one is made of steel and has a wedge like affair on the front of it that tightens up against the cross member under where the battle sight is located. I took the mount out of the package and unscrewed the wedge then had a time trying to figure out how it went back on. I finally figured it out and its a very steady mount. The ATI mount has only two small Allen screws that hold it in place. One goes against the receiver and the other on an angle to lock the first one in place. Both mounts work though. The only issue I had with the new mount was I had to grind off a slight bit of metal off the mount so the bolt head could rotate downward when it was replaced in the receiver. Those who own Enfields will know what I'm talking about. Once I did that though it works fine. I reblued the area that I ground off and you would never notice it unless I showed you. If I get a chance I'll post a picture of the rig.
tdd likes this.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 08-07-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page