Breaking in a new barrel? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Breaking in a new barrel?

Have a new never shot Ruger predator in 6.5 creedmore. In addition to having to sight it in I'm also interested in the breaking in of the new barrel? Cleaning between each round for the first x number of rounds fired ? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:00 PM

If you're asking for advice about break in you will get a bunch of different answers, including those that believe barrel break in is bogus.

I usually clean after each shot for the first 5, then 3 shots groups cleaning after each group. Eventually moving to 5 shot groups cleaning after each group. Total around 40-50 rounds. The most important part is letting the barrel cool between groups. It's also important that you're cleaning properly, use a bore guide and properly sized rod/jag
308 ruger likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:19 PM
Part of the Community

I have been shooting both short and long range benchrest for many years. After going through about 50 custom barrels I have came to this method that works well for me. I clean the barrel and shoot 1 shot. I clean the barrel and shoot 2 shots. I clean the barrel , shoot 3 shoots. I clean the barrel and proceed with normal load work up. I use Butch's Bore Shine to clean the carbon and Sweets to clean copper using both every time. Do not allow Sweets to dry in the barrel It has strong ammonia in it and if you allow it to dry it forms ammonia salts which will damage both regular and stainless barrels. I often leave Butchs in the barrel over night. After cleaning never fire the first shot over a dry barrel. I use Lock-eze, 1 patch after the barrel is cleaned and leave it in the barrel and shoot over it for my first shot. If storing for more than 2 weeks with out firing I use a light machine oil in the barrel then patch it out and run a Lock-eze patch through before firing. Some shooters just leave the barrel damp with their cleaner to fire the first shoot over.
Bull, WildBill and jimsdad like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:34 PM

All the guns I have done this with have been awesome shooters. My routine has been 10 single shots cleaning between. Then 2 , 3 shot groups clean in between the groups. Then one more group. Should be good to go. I clean again when finished always put a light oil patch thru it to let the gun sit. Always shoot a fouling shot to start.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 03:39 AM

I do exactly what Jeff advises in my BR rifles. But thee are many opinions on what is best. I have found that the better barrels whlich have been polished by the manufacturer, require less break in.

benchrest
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peddle-paddle View Post
Have a new never shot Ruger predator in 6.5 creedmore. In addition to having to sight it in I'm also interested in the breaking in of the new barrel? Cleaning between each round for the first x number of rounds fired ? Thanks

I agree with what jeffppc said but would add, and maybe this is not a necessary comment, that cleaning a new barrel to remove every vestige of cutting oil and metal shaving residue prior to the first shot is the most important part of break in.
Tony300wby and Shed Antler like this.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 08:45 AM
New Arrival

I cringe when I see shooters “breaking in” a new rifle barrel by hurriedly jamming cheap jointed cleaning rods tipped with every sort of cleaning jag imaginable back and forth through the bore with the frenzy of an amateur plumber trying to snake a clogged bathtub drain. For the average shooter with a new gun I agree with getting the barrel prepped at home. Using a bore guide, first remove factory goo and crud with gun solvent and patches only. Then, when it appears clean and shiny remove microscopic machining imperfections with a brass brush one caliber size smaller wrapped with a patch covered with a little JB bore paste/compound and Croil. Work it gently, slowly. Push a clean patch through one way, then clean barrel again with bore solvent until final patch is clean and barrel is bright, followed by a single patch with a tiny bit of oil. Your new barrel is now ready.

Go to range and fire a fouling shot. Clean barrel again with a patch or two. Gently. Proceed to sight in your properly prepped barrel.
WildBill and Tony300wby like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:08 AM
Part of the Community

Good advice from Full Moon on using a one piece rod with a bore guide.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 11:39 AM

There are many videos on Youtube to choose from. But the first thing I would do is contact Ruger and go by their recommendations
Dogface likes this.

Life Member NRA
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Lots of good recommendations that I will follow. I will have to procure another proper one piece cleaning rod for this caliber. I do have Jb bore paste,croil, butches bore shine etc etc etc. Also good call to call Ruger. Will do. Just had carpal tunnel relief surgery today and hip replacement surgery on June 7.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page