300 Blackout for bear - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

300 Blackout for bear

I saw a recent post on the facebook 300 Blackout page. A guy asked if a 300 BLK was enough to harvest a black bear. I am really curious what we Pennsylvanians have to say. I am a 300 blackout user, and when I get my can, I will be bowhunting does with a rifle. But Bears? What say you?

Disclaimer: I will always have my trusty ol Encore ODD SIX in the bear woods with me!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 07:51 AM

I would consider that round inadequate for bear. There are of course examples of small or low power rounds killing large animals, just because you could doesn't mean you should.
Pahack likes this.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 07:56 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

As always shot placement is everything. I killed my first bear with a .243, bullet went out the other side and the bear dropped. It might be a little sketchy though if you encounter one of those 600+ lb bears.
Pahack likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 08:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

I would imagine that an accurately placed shot in the neck just below the skull that severs the spinal column would work. However that would be the absolute ideal scenario, not one I would be comfortable waiting on.

I would be wary of chest shot and would require more research to determine if the current subsonic offerings provided adequate penetration. With a subsonic projectile they are going to run so full penetration would be ideal as to allow for a more substantial blood trail.

I don’t think supersonic loads would be feasible as they are generally lightly constructed Varmint bullets and the heavier bullets don’t reach the MV required for expansion.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 08:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Given approximately the same bullet weight ( around 100 gr) the .243 has more muzzle energy than the 300 Blackout ( approx.2000 ft-lb vs. approx. 1400 ft-lb). In heavier bullets the 300 Blackout has much less muzzle energy - 220 gr bullet approx. 500 ft lbs. I'd take a .243 over a 300 Blackout for black bear any day of the week.

Given the right bullet and proper shot placement any modern centerfire rifle is capable of killing black bears. That doesn't mean they are all ideal. A .22 LR is capable, but it certainly would be a poor choice.
Pahack likes this.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

There were a lot of votes for the 110 Barnes TTSX. but I am still not taking a 300 and chasing a wounded bear in the laurel.
simoncool likes this.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 05:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If I absolutely had to the 110gr TTSX would be my choice, but I'd still feel more comfortable with the .243.
Pahack likes this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
If I absolutely had to the 110gr TTSX would be my choice, but I'd still feel more comfortable with the .243.

My go to now is a 220 gr Sierra. I used a 150 last year in the 06, but these fatties group so well, and I am pushing them moderately. When I get my can outta jail, its gonna sound like a 22 mag.
simoncool likes this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 06:32 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahack View Post
I saw a recent post on the facebook 300 Blackout page. A guy asked if a 300 BLK was enough to harvest a black bear. I am really curious what we Pennsylvanians have to say. I am a 300 blackout user, and when I get my can, I will be bowhunting does with a rifle. But Bears? What say you?

Disclaimer: I will always have my trusty ol Encore ODD SIX in the bear woods with me!!!!!
subsonic no way. With something like the 110ttsx no but I wouldn't think you are insane for doing so,perhaps a bit inhumane but not completely crazy! I would think it could work if you limited yourself to bow shots with supersonic ammo.
Pahack likes this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 06:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahack View Post
My go to now is a 220 gr Sierra. I used a 150 last year in the 06, but these fatties group so well, and I am pushing them moderately. When I get my can outta jail, its gonna sound like a 22 mag.
Not a big fan of silencers on hunting weapons, but if that's your thang', have at it. We seem to agree on the bullet, that's the important part!
Pahack likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page