Different load data different books?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Different load data different books??

I have been using One Book/On Caliber-The complete reloading manuals for years. However, I my quest for more research I become confused....Example 3.08, 168 gr. BTHP #2200 Sierra, IMR 4895 I find the following:

One Book One Caliber: IMR 4895 starting load 38.2 Max 41.3
Hodgdon site: IMR 4895 starting load 41.0 Max 45.4C
Speer: IMR 4895 starting load 39.0 Max 42.1

I understand these are guidelines and one has to work up a pet load for each set of components to the performance of each rifle; however, why the big spread of technical information from three experts?

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 11:24 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

What you have to understand/recognize is that there is no heavenly divined max charge for a given powder/projectile/cartridge.

In fact, the max for a given projectile could even vary a smidge from chamber to chamber and even from brand of brass to another brand of brass.

Then there is the pressure max that each manual's creators decided was their "red line". It may or may not be the same for each manual.

Bottom line is that the maxes you see are a product of how each manual's technical content folks decided to specify just what constitutes a max charge.

Put it in a hunting analogy--

Let's say there was a law that an antlered deer for tagging purposes is one that has antlers. No further guidance is given. Just that it's a hard/fast rule that a deer possessing antlers is considered antlered.

One person says, "an antler is anything with three branched points."

Another says, "Anything that is bone above the hair."

A third says, "A spike at least 3" long."

The "rule" was it has to have antlers. Each person interpreted the rule in a way that complies with the rule, but varies from the interpretation of the others.

The "deer has to have antlers" is SAAMI's max pressure for the round. I can't possibly imagine any manual in existence will post data that is at all capable of coming near that threshold.

BUT.... how close to it do they go? Ah, there's the question. Your 308 data may be capped at 50,000psi. Maybe 55,000. Maybe 48,000. That'll cause a lot of variation in what the published charges look like.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 01:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you are trying to match M2 ball, 46 of Varget is pretty well established. I forget what the 4895 load was I have used Varget for so long. The burn rate is OK for Garands also. That load works in all of my 06 milsurps. More then accurate enough at 200 yds with opens. For the 1903A4 I bumped it to 48 Varget and it was the most consistent out of IMR 4895, 4350, 4064, Varget, and one I cant remember (748??) at 3 and 600yds.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Have plenty IMR 4350, 4064 and 4895 from my other rifle loads. Have heard good things about Varget, but got to shoot up the others first.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 05:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

The short answer is that no two combinations of components will provide the same pressures in the same cartridge as every rifle is different. That's why they tell you to start low and work up because there might be a pretty wide swing in what your rifle will handle vs someone else's. Additionally each ammo manufacture uses their own brass which all vary in case capacity from other manufacturers.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:18 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you are running it in a Garand, I think 4350 is to slow (pressure curve is not in spec with Garand) and you will bend the op rod. 4064?? not sure. Is that what you are looking to do? Match M2, or just messing with Matchkings?

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Just looking for an accurate load for target. Out of 6 random test loads 2 each with IMR 4064, IMR 4350 and IMR 4895 my best group was with 41.5 IMR 4064, CCI primers and Win. brass at 0.755...100 yds. More testing to follow.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page