270 by Winchester - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

270 by Winchester

I have a line on 70 270 Winchester from 1970 Serial number G978681 . It was a friends dad who passed away. Just curious what a value / fair offer to him would be. I am going to keep for myself and not going to re-sell it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 03:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Depends on condition ... They're def not pre-64's when it comes to prices. I got a 300 WM at a local gun store with good bluing and a nice bore but a stock who's finish was flaking for $250 ~ $275 with an old tasco on it. This was about 4 or 5 years ago. Makes it about $300 in today's money.
The stock wasn't so horrible that I didn't want to shoot it or carry it, but I'm sure they gave the guy that traded it in $100 or something obscenely low like that because of it. I eventually refinished it and used it as a project & let my kid watch me strip it & help raise some dents & then refinish it & put it all back together.

They never had a reputation of being super accurate, but all the model 70's I've had - I've never had a problem getting them to at least shoot 1" groups at 100 yards ... wish i could say the same with a certain 700 that's sitting at the back of my safe. Anyway - I'm off topic ... A quick look at gun broker & I'm seeing a few like you describe selling for around $350 and a few where the auctions ended & didn't even get a bid for that price ... Those were for 30-'06's which seem to be more plentiful so I'm sure that's pulling their value down a bit, but it's not like the 270 is super rare either. If it was me - I wouldn't offer more than $400 and that's for a good friend.
mgdrobert likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

The rifle looks amazing. We settled on 350 . Once in my possession I will post pics of it. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 09:28 AM

"They never had a reputation of being super accurate."

????huh????
they were one of the first sniper platforms the military put into service

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 01:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedoak View Post

????huh????
Maybe I'm wrong, but my understanding was the post 64's of that time frame weren't perceived to be as accurate as the one produced prior to the changes made in 1964 and were behind the Remington's of the same time period.

Edit: Here's a good article about the military history of the M70 ... the ones used in Vietnam were actually purchased during WWII by the USMC
simoncool likes this.

Last edited by GSP66; 05-11-2018 at 02:16 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 02:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Pre 64 model 70's are a totally different animal, that's why they bring a premium. The changes made in 64 stripped that fine rifle of the title of the rifleman's rifle. When FN took over production in 2007 the rifles saw a huge leap in quality, bringing them closer to the rifle they once were. From 2007-2013 they were manufactured in South Carolina. In 2013 production was moved to Portugal, where they have been made since.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 03:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedoak View Post

????huh????
Those rifles used by the military were far from standard hunting rifles though. They started as Pre-War Heavy Barrel target rifles from the factory which then were given new custom barrels when they wore out because they were used in military matches. In addition they were bedded with the barrels Free floated to help alleviate accuracy issues caused by the wood stocks and maintained by the match armorer.

The standard hunting rifles were not free floated as they had a third screw in the forend that held the stock to the barrel. In some cases that led to accuracy issuse and combine with the bullets and ammo of the time the standard rifles could be considered exceptional if they shot 1.5".

That being said I have a standard pre-war in 30-06 and pre-64 bull gun in .300 H&H both of which are sub MOA with handloads. While I prefer CRF to the push feed of the post-64 model 70, the only ones to really avoid are early post-64 models as they had some growing pains for the new design that was not rectified until a few years later.

By 1970 when the OPs new rifle was made the quality had been returned so you should be well served with that rifle. Heck for $350 id take a post-64 over a new plastic gun any day of the week.
simoncool and GSP66 like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 03:59 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP70306 View Post
Heck for $350 id take a post-64 over a new plastic gun any day of the week.
Me too!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 06:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP70306 View Post
By 1970 when the OPs new rifle was made the quality had been returned so you should be well served with that rifle. Heck for $350 id take a post-64 over a new plastic gun any day of the week.
While I agree by 1970 many of the flaws of the post '64 model 70 were worked out, IMO the model 70 fell short of the quality of the pre '64 rifles until FN took over (still not quite up to pre '64 standards, but close). As you stated though, I'd choose a model 70 from the 1970's over many guns on the market today. For $350.00 you can't go wrong.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 07:06 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
While I agree by 1970 many of the flaws of the post '64 model 70 were worked out, IMO the model 70 fell short of the quality of the pre '64 rifles until FN took over (still not quite up to pre '64 standards, but close). As you stated though, I'd choose a model 70 from the 1970's over many guns on the market today. For $350.00 you can't go wrong.
The Classics made in the mid 90ís are held in extremely high regard as well.

I have one that began life as a 30-06. Itís now a 35 Whelen and one of my favorite rifles.

Of course, I say the same about all 7 of my Model 70ís. Lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page