Youths and shooting ranges - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Youths and shooting ranges

I was on another site and there was a thread on the mentored hunts,in Pa.
It got me to thinking! I shoot my rifles often,at more than one club. My thought is: Where do these people take these youths to learn to shoot a deer rifle? In 3 or 4 years,i've only seen 2 folks teaching a young boy and a young lady,to shoot and gun saftey! They both shoot very well.Where do the rest of the mentored shooters get taught? They all can't have farms or private gun ranges!

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:33 AM
The Man

Re: Youths and shooting ranges

I just had my 9 year old daughter at the public range yesterday. It was slow at the range when we got there, and I had the chance to work with her. She was shooting a Crickett .22. She got the hang of it, and was hitting the bullseye every time out to 25 yards. I was really amazed atually.

As it got later more and more people came. Every one of them was really great with her being there. I got several comments how it was great that I was getting her out when she was that young.

As we were packing up for the day she asked if we could go hunting after we got home...I guess she doesn't yet understand the concept of seasons yet.

Venison - The other fast food
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Administrator

My boys were taught here on our range.I actually know a few people that have their own range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 12:24 PM

Alot of people know someone though that has a private range or farm though. Heck our private range when I was a kid was our picnic table and wherever we put the cardboard box. I actually think that the private ranges or farm are nicer than the public or club for the kids because their isn't alot of other people their. It gives you time to work with them, and they don't feel embarassed when they make a bad shot, and you don't feel rushed because other people are waiting to shoot.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 01:01 PM

Just had my 9 year old son to a local gun club as well. I have seen several other fathers in the past month do the same! Although we do have acess to private farmland, I would much rather take him to the range!

Last year I had my 3 year old and 8 year old shooting a bb gun and a cricket at the 25 yard target. THey had to take their targets home to show their mommy! Ha

The past can not be forgotten, but the future is anything you want it to be.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 03:40 PM
The Man

YEa, I just walk out the door about 40 yards, lay the gun on the picnic table and thats my range......I can only shoot 200 yds though.....so for longer work I drive 3/4 mile down the road to a 600 Meter range.....that is very relaxed, and out in the boonies

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page