Crosman Recruit .177 multi pump air rifle... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Crosman Recruit .177 multi pump air rifle...

W1F3 unit nixed the .22 as a first gun for my son, said she would feel better if he got some practice shooting on something that won't kill anyone - i don't disagree...and he could use a little more safety training so we took a trip to Dick's yesterday to pick out his birthday present. settled on a Crosman Recruit. Dick's has a pretty liberal return policy on these things and I had a good coupon that netted me some "free" carbon arrows for archery this year so i figured what the heck.

The recruit is a smoothbore rifle with about 625 fps or so and i got a few different kids of pellets and some BB's to see what it would shoot best. it does surprisingly well with the 4x scope that came with it. I've also put a red dot on it with similar results. My only complaint so far is that it's pretty tough for the little guy to pump but we'll manage. i'm hooked on air guns now a little too - looking at another one for myself, we can shoot in the back yard and get a ton of trigger time in without having to worry about the riff-raff at the public ranges. He's liking it alot and after i got him sighted in, he's hitting cans at 25-30 yards consistently with pellets. it won't throw any of the BB's i have consistently, but some of the Gamo pellets do pretty dang good. here's the last target I shot today with it at 25 yards using 5 pumps. at 25 yards, the POI delta really isn't worth the extra 3 or so extra pumps unless i'm gonna poke a pest...cans will never know the difference.

these are one target each of 4 different Gamo pellets in a combo pack with 5 pumps each. additional pumps only add velocity and surprisingly, the POI shift inside 25-30 yards is nil. I can cover most of my back yard with this and 1" accuracy is more than i could have hoped for with the money I spent. it seems to be tightening up as we shoot it too.

the master points are the top right target...i'm saving those for back yard pests. the rest of them are more than adequate for plinking and target use. the PBA armor piercing (yeah right) are VERY accurate too...i need to get more of these - I ran thru a box of 200 today and there's about 30 of them left.

if anyone is looking for an inexpensive air rifle to play around with, the Recruit is not a bad deal at all. It's every bit as accurate as my dad's crosman 1200 break barrel, and a lot easier for the little guy to handle.

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page