help me choose a new gun!!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

help me choose a new gun!!!

looking for a new rifle and having trouble choosing a caliber...cost of ammo is a consideration to me as well. I will be hunting deer and black bear with it…with the bears we have gotten the past few years I need knockdown power to kill these monsters...let me know what you think of these calibers...

-7mm
-7mm.08

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Banned

Re: help choosing a caliber...

Most people really don't shoot enough rounds to make mammo cst a factor.

post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I don't care how much you shoot, why spend 45 bucks for 20 shots when you can get a different caliber that does the same thing or more for half the price

and obviously i shoot a good amount if it matters to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 06:02 PM
The Man

It also depends on the type of ammo that you shoot. I shoot a 30-06 and pay about $14 a box for the cheap stuff that kills deer just as dead as the "premium" stuff thats $45 a box. Of the calibers listed I would go with either 30-06 or .308 because they are more common and will have a bigger variety of ammo out there to choose from.

The problem is that I don't know what I don't know.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

All of those calibers will do the job but the 308 or 30-06 are tough to beat in performance and price, especially when the big box stores have the ammo on sale.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

First off, any of the 5 calibers will do the job on any animal that roams PA woods with a well placed shot, none will do the job with a badly placed shot.
Pick a caliber that you can handle the recoil and noise with no problem. Don't pick a 06 or 280 if you're recoil shy, it will affect your shooting, to a high degree.
With ammo price and availability being a factor, the 30-06 and 308 can be found practically anywhere including wally world.
Having shot all 5 calibers, my pick, and what I use, is the 308. Recoil is not that bad in a light rifle with a good recoil pad, but the 7mm and 7mm.08 will be lighter. I can handle a 280 or 30-06, but I need to shoot a couple of box of shells out of them, over a few weeks time frame, to get use to the recoil and noise. With the other three, a time or two at the range does the trick.
One last point, once the rifle is sighted in, do all your practice shooting from hunting positions, with a lot from the standing position. There are no bench rests in the big game woods.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned

that's what I figured guys. Only reason the 280, 7mm and 7mm-08 are on my list is because I found some brand new ones at a heck of a price.

I figured if the ammo was still pretty cheap for those 3 calipers I would jump in the deals....also wanted some opinions on those 3 calipers because I am unfamiliar withthem
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Coureurs De Bois, recoil is no problem at all I've shot a 375 and I've never heard of someone shooting a lot to get used to noise? What do you mean

PS this isn't my first gun, I'm just in the market for another to add to my arsenal
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Part of the Community

Well from what you said I would list in order, .308 7mm-08 and then 30-06. The 06 and 308 are just about identical and ammo for both is readily available. The 7mm-08 will do just about anything the other two will do. However, if you do not reload finding a good variation in loads for the 7mm-08 might be a little more dicey. I prefer the .308 for a couple of self imposed reasons not that it is any better than the 06. I am just not a fan of the 06 since I can get all of its performance in a shorter more accuarate case. If you reload you can do allot with a 7mm-08 as far as backing down recoil with lighter loads but that is if you reload.

The singe=le biggest factors I would say is finding a rifle that fits you and in a caliber you like. Oh and the 7mm-08 and the 280 are basically the 308 and 06 in that the 280 uses the 06 case and the 7mm-08 uses the 308 case

Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt for your kids..
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Bucky thanks very much for the info. I dont need a big range in loading options. In fact, if each of those calibers is offered in 170-180 grains I would use the same round for deer and bear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page