J C Higgins aka Sesrs firearms and bullets - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
The Man

J C Higgins aka Sesrs firearms and bullets

I had a few J C Higgins Guns. They were of a good quality. I still have the 22 bolt with Clip. Accurate for sure. I traced it and Marlin made it for Sears.
Just think of how Sears helped the hunting industry. They had guns and bullets with their name on it made by well known gun mfg and ammo companies. My first wildlife call a Crow Call was a J C Higgins probably made by Mallardtone. I enjoyed going to sears and buying a $ .55 cent box of 22 longs. No questions asked.
Anyone else own a few J C Higgins Guns at one time or another?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 01:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My best buddy still hunts with his beat to heck Higgins 12 gauge. He has decent luck with it. She’s worn out pretty good but still functions safely.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 02:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I at one time had a JC Higgins bolt action 12 gauge. It came down through the family and wasn't fit for a fence post. I still have a Westfield .222 Rem. , which is I believe a store branded Savage Model 340 sold through either Sears or Montgomery Ward. It is a good shooter, but the trigger leaves a lot to be desired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 02:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

I had a 12 gauge single shot J.C. Higgins moons ago, late 70's when Sears at 1 time did sell firearms. Man was it a jaw breaker shooting that. I tore it apart and scraped it, cut the barrel into pieces. I have the H&R 098 since i was 12 in 1976 in the 16 much easier on the jaw & shoulder.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 03:15 PM
Sage

I have my dad's JC Higgins 16 ga SXS. It was one of those built during the war when they used a wood grain synthetic material for stocks because the wood was going to the war effort. He had it re blued in the 60's and it looks relatively new considering the number of days spent in the field and the number of rabbits and pheasants killed with that gun. If all the rabbits layed low by that gun were laid end to end they would probably stretch a mile or more, and the pheasants a close 2nd..

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 06:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I always thought Savage Arms made all the J.C. Higgins guns for Sears, but a quick search revealed they were also made by High Standard, Marlin, Husqvarna, and even Sako made a .22 Hornet bolt gun for them. The Sako would be a nice little gun to have, I've never seen one.

J.C. Higgins was a long time employee of Sears, an accountant that eventually became a vice president of the company. It is unknown if he had much interest in guns or hunting.

I learned some interesting facts today, I guess the day wasn't a total loss.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 08:48 PM
The Man

Winchester made some under the JC Higgins name.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 09:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
Winchester made some under the JC Higgins name.
I didn't see that in any of the stuff I looked at, but I will take your word for it. I didn't spend too much time on it. I do remember Sears sold a Ted Williams .30-30 that was a rebranded model 94 after they quit making the J.C. Higgins line. I think they also had a Ted Williams .30-06 that was a rebranded model 70.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 09:51 PM

very interesting post ,thanks for the infomation
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 09:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a JC Higgins 16 gauge, bolt action. I don't think it's been fired. Got it from my uncle when he passed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page