Marlin 336 question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Marlin 336 question

I picked up a Marlin 336 30-30 circa 1974 last week for $250. Took a while to find one without the cross bolt safety. Bluing is a little worn and the stock has some scratches, no cracks. My question is opinions on refinishing the stock with an oil finish. My gut tells me this will never be a collectors piece so I might as well make it look nice for my daughter to hunt with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:22 AM

my preference is truoil for gun stock finishs. why not while you have the gun apart, have the barrel and action reblued or at least touch up the worn spots. really make the rifle shine again. check out rugged hunters 30-30 refinish on this page. looks great.
Dogface likes this.

Last edited by Pa. Slim; 03-22-2018 at 11:29 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:38 AM
Sage

I 2nd the True oil applied with the finger tips and taken down with 000 steel wool between coats. If I were going to do that stock I would take it down to bear wood and then refinish with as many coats of true oil as it takes to get it nice. Then if you want a mat finish, rotten stone it. This is a True oil finish, 12 coats on an 8mm Mouser I sporterized for my brother, I also removed the bluing as it was a surplus gun and it needed to be smoothed and redone. I used cold bluing but I boiled the barrel and action so it would flash dry when I took it out of the water. The barrel and action have about 15 coats of bluing and after each coat I steel wooled the metal between coats. You can do a nice job if you takemyour time. Prep is very important before you refinish the wood and steel

Rugged Hunter likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 03-22-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 06:34 PM
Sage

Sporterized a M98 years ago for my son. Got an old, but never-used Fajen inletted walnut stock for free, one of those that was rough shaped externally and looked like beavers had done the work. So it was a chore making something out of it.

But I scraped the plastic fore end and grip cap. Took off quite a bit of wood while I was at it, to lighten it a bit. An old gunsmith amigo did the M98 bolt, D/T and bobbed the barrel to 20".

I added a Timney Sportsman and Buehler safety, re-crowned the muzzle. Handy little rifle and a joy to tote. AND it is a tack driver, with of all things, 125gr Hornadys. Far more accurate than any of the heavier loads I once shot in it.

Have done a few cold blues over the years, decided to do this one in matte black automotive finish. Has held up fairly well over the past 25+ years, easy to touch up.

Did the stock in ZAR poly-fortified tung oil, multiple rubbed-in coats and a satin finish. Used that on some of my varminters because it holds up better to sweaty palms, than pure tung oil. Stock still looks like new, if we don't count a few teenager nicks and dings?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 06:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

I third the finger rubbed Tru Oil finish. And if you reblue the steel, I'm a huge advocate for the quick rust method over any cold bluing technique. Like @Pa. Slim said, take a look at my thread a few posts down.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 06:51 PM
Sage

Denny, I did that gun in the pictures in 1971 and those pictures are from 2016. It shows that cold blue will hold up if you do it right, That stock is a Fagen as well, when they say semi inletted they really mean semi, I got an education in the use of gouging tools. I did everything except bending the bolt. I had a cousin in gunsmith school in Pittsburgh, I gave him the bolt and he bent the handle and jeweled the bold for me, no charge. My brother was using it in original condition. I sneaked it out of the house after deer season because I knew he wouldn't look at it again for a while and took it home and sporterized it. I took it back a couple of days before his birthday and put it back in his closet in the hard case. At his birthday party I asked him to go get his gun so I could look at it. He came down stairs with a perplexed look on his face holding the gun. He said his gone was gone and this one was in the case. Everyone git a big laugh out of that. That thing is a shooter as well. Not bad for being bought out of a barrel at Boscov's for 20 bucks.
Rugged Hunter likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 07:02 PM

never did any rebluing , but I did refinish some gun stocks ,after taking off the old stain I put linseed oil on it and they came very nice
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 10:10 PM
The Man

Count me in for the tru oil bandwagon. I have redone several of my rifles with it and they have all turned out well.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 11:48 AM

just wondering if anyone has used the truoil in the spray can? was thinking of redoing the stock on my one rifle and trying the spray out.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 04:07 PM
Sage

I never used it and never will, I am surprised they even came out with a spray. The best way to apply a finish is to apply it with your finger tips, the first joint. A rubbed finish will come out even. We all know what a spray nozzle will do to a paint job it it gets residue in the hole. People are free to use what they want but a spray on finish seems to me like something that is a bad idea. Quick is rarely better.
eastbank likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page