4Likes
  • 1 Post By Woods walker
  • 1 Post By cubcadet
  • 1 Post By Dogface
  • 1 Post By Pa. Slim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Revolver recco

Looking at S&W 686 or a Ruger GP 100 (model 1773) .357 mag for target shooting only. Would appreciate opinions on them and comments on pro/con of each. Thanks.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......

Last edited by jimsdad; 03-22-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:34 AM
Sage

Go with the 686, no question. I carried one, 4" barrel on duty for 25 years. It is still my favorite hand gun out of the ones I own and I can shoot it better than all my other handguns. The trigger is smooth and gets better the more you shoot them and they are dependable. I recommend putting a set of Pacmayer grips on it if you buy one, they fit the hand better than the factory grip.
jimsdad likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:38 AM
Frequent Contributor

I inherent the Ruger GP100 in 357 magnum stainless with rosewood grips. It was my Dad revolver. He liked it alot. I like it as well. Accurate, fits nice in my hands & balance a bit heavy though and pull the trigger it goes bang, bang,bang,bang vs the Smith 686 in the 357 magnum i use to have click, click, bang, click, bang. Exchanged it for another did the same thing. Hammer issues what I was told from the dealer. I had enough of that so I exchanged it for a Taurus 66 i believe it was a 66. I sold the Taurus 14 years ago, didn't need 2 revolvers.

If it were me i cross out the Smith, but its your hard earn $. You buy what suits you & most comfortable with. Maybe Smith fixed the issue? Good luck to you...
jimsdad likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:16 AM
The Man

Get the S&W. If you want it for target shooting try to find one with a patridge front sight.
jimsdad likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:27 AM

have never owned a smith and wesson. im a ruger fan. all the revolvers ive owned were ruger. my 44 mag is a redhawk and 41 mag is blackhawk. my opinion is that the rugers are built stronger then smiths.
jimsdad likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page