Gun advice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Gun advice

First of all I am not trying to get any more attention to my ad in the classifieds by posting a question here but I am looking to trade my Rem model Seven XCR in 270WSM.

Here is the rub; I have been offered a Rem model Seven XCR, identical to my 270WSM, in a 308. But I have also been offered a stainless Remington Mountain rifle in 280 Remington. I believe both guys want to do a straight trade; gun for gun.

I feel my WSM is too much gun for hunting deer where I hunt (300 yards or less overlooking a semi dense wooded hollow) I do not hunt bear or even plan to go out on an elk hunt.

Please assume all the rifles are in great condition and have only shot a box or two of shells. What are your opinions out there on what is a fair trade deal for my rifle and what is not?

Sorry about the novel, I just felt like I had to explain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:08 PM

Re: Gun advice

I think the Model 7 has a 20 inch barrel and the Mountain has a 22 inch barrel. Both are great deer guns. There is a lot more 308 ammo out there. Both will have about the same recoil.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:10 PM

I would choose the 280 myself, but i own plenty of 30 cals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Banned

how do you figure your 270 is too much for deer? 300 yards is a good poke ....dead is dead and 270wsm is not too much for deer

I would take the 308 if I were you. Youll have range and power
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESU.archer
how do you figure your 270 is too much for deer? 300 yards is a good poke ....dead is dead and 270wsm is not too much for deer

I would take the 308 if I were you. Youll have range and power
I have been hunting for 17 years and have never tried a shot at or near 300 yards. I guess I was just throwing out a rough number for the width of the hollow. To me, the WSM is too much for the distances I want to shoot.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks guys! Keep the ideas and opinions coming. I reload with an uncle of mine. Does this sway any opinions?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The .280 mountain rifle is an extremely versatile and well balanced all around game rifle. The .308 is as well, but in choosing betwen the two, I would take the .280 The .308 is a more accurate round, but only in very capable hands. In practical hunting situations, it makes no difference. The 270 WSM is not at all too much for deer hunting. If you are the same guy who posted about excessive meat damage you just need to use a different bullet. If your not married, buy both guns! LOL

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Banned

my mistake I thought you meant your shots are usually longer shots....280 is a great caliber and since its not as readily available as calibers like 308 it will be more expensive to shoot....reloading will relieve that though.

in my opinion you cant go wrong with either trade
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:35 PM
The Man

I you're worried about the 270 being too much for deer, then go with the .308. It's not a a lot less powerful that the 270wsm, but of the two you listed, it's the smaller. That being said, if it were me, I'd take the 280. However, I probably wouldn't be getting rid of the 270wsm in the first place. The .270 is one of the best deer cartridges around, and the 270wsm closely mirrors it, but with a bit better ballistics, in a smaller ligther package with the short action(given the gun of course. All things being equal, the short action will be a big lighter). Bullet selection will account for more/less meat damage than will the size of the caliber. I've torn deer up worse with a .257 roberts, than I have with a 300 Ultra mag, simply because of shot placement and bullet design/structure.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:36 PM
The Man

Joe beat me to it with the bullet advice!

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page