Gun socks? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Gun socks?

I gutted the safes to make more room and purchased a bunch of Elder and Allen gun socks with the silicone impregnated in them. I still put a nice fresh coat of oil on the rifles and then slid them in. Definitely nice for getting more guns in a safe and avoiding those dreaded "safe tattoos" from rubbing and bumping. Anyone else store guns this way. Anything I should be worried about with this method. These are collectibles that I take out 1 time a year to freshen up with a fresh coat of grease. Only reason I went this route was to avoid having to buy another safe at this time. Just thought I'd ask if anyone did this and ran into any problems. I do have dehumidifier rods and silica packs in the safes.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 08:28 PM

I store mine the same way and for the same reasons. Never had a problem. I too use rechargeable silica packs in my safe and I keep a humidity gauge in there so I can monitor it. I usually only recharge my silica a few times a year(mostly during summer).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 08:34 PM

interesting information , thanks for posting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 09:17 PM

Some people don't know this, but a good way to get your guns to fit easier in the safe is to alternate them muzzle up and muzzle down. Of course scopes cause a lot of issues.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
Some people don't know this, but a good way to get your guns to fit easier in the safe is to alternate them muzzle up and muzzle down. Of course scopes cause a lot of issues.
I never even thought of that but it does make a lot of sense. Pack em in like sardines!

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 12:27 AM

Another thing to consider when storing long guns, remove banana clips from tactical rifles so they dont scratch the stocks on guns close to them in a rack or gun cabinet.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 08:38 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm about out of room to put another safe so i had to get creative and do what you said with the socks. I keep at least every other one in a sock for the same reason. If they get bumped or dinged in the field - so be it, but i hate looking at one & thinking about how i dinged or scratched it just by putting it back in the safe. I don't see my problem going away anytime soon as the kids get a little older and start to acquire their own stuff that needs to go in the safe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page