Anybody remember? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Anybody remember?

With all the gun control talk going on right now, I was wondering if anyone remembered past rules that expired. I am going on 61 yrs old and remember back in the say mid 70's at 19 yrs old I could not buy 22lr because they could be used in a handgun. When I was 21 and able to but them ( at sears ) I had to register them once again they could be used in a hand gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 07:12 AM

I can not comment directly relative to your point.

However, I recall that I had to sign for ammunition purchases (I would not call it registration) for some period of time in the 60's after Kennedy was assassinated. I also remember that there was a book, kind of like a ledger, that we entered our name, address and phone number in whenever purchasing ammo. Don't recall if that process was for ALL ammo or just what could be fired in a handgun.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 08:14 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hello Men,

We are roughly the same age. Growing up in upstate NYS I do not recall any ammo issue as you have identified. I did however purchase my first pistol (Ruger Mark 1) at age 18 (mid 70's) and subsequently applied for and received my first of many concealed carry permits at 19 or so. I do recall having to first find the pistol of choice, then I had to get a receipt for the pistol (from WalMart!). I then had to go to the local court house with that paperwork and obtain a "Purchase Permit". I could then go back to WalMart with that paperwork and complete the transaction and take the pistol home. Then, go back to the courthouse and complete "registration". Not sure if that is still the same process. I still have that pistol and permit :-)

Semper Fi Jimsdad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 09:31 AM
Sage

I remember when they wanted you to sign a log to buy .22 ammo. I would not do it, there were places that didn't require it and a lot of people went to them. It was a bad idea and didn't last long.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 12:27 PM
The Man

Around here they asked you if the ammo was for a handgun or rifle. If you told them a handgun your info went in the book. Most folks used a copy book. I don't remember having to sign but I may have.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 02:56 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I remember when they wanted you to sign a log to buy .22 ammo. I would not do it, there were places that didn't require it and a lot of people went to them. It was a bad idea and didn't last long.
I remember going into a Murhy's Mart with my dad to by 22ammo and they had him sign for it.I was probabl 8 or 9 years old at the time.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos usmc View Post
hello men,

we are roughly the same age. Growing up in upstate nys i do not recall any ammo issue as you have identified. I did however purchase my first pistol (ruger mark 1) at age 18 (mid 70's) and subsequently applied for and received my first of many concealed carry permits at 19 or so. I do recall having to first find the pistol of choice, then i had to get a receipt for the pistol (from walmart!). I then had to go to the local court house with that paperwork and obtain a "purchase permit". I could then go back to walmart with that paperwork and complete the transaction and take the pistol home. Then, go back to the courthouse and complete "registration". Not sure if that is still the same process. I still have that pistol and permit :-)

semper fi jimsdad!
oooooo - raaaaa!

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 08:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I bought a Ruger Single 6 in high school from the local hardware store. I know I was 17 years old or less. I think it was after Robert Kennedy got shot is when I had to start signing a book to by 22 shells. I don't think it was to long ago at Wally world a gal asked me if the 17 cal shells I bought were for a rifle or pistol.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 09:50 AM

if i remember right it was after Reagan was shot that they started making us sign for 22 shells. they asked if the shells were going to be used in a handgun. the idiot used a 22 handgun to shoot Reagan and Brady. when we were in our teens we always bought 22 shells by the brick. went through many 22 shells back then.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 10:05 AM

I worked in a gun shop in the mid/late 1980's and had a book that all handgun ammo sales had to be logged into. There was also a wait period for all handgun sales, if I remember correctly it was a 5 day's.

Good luck, Tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page